• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Daz Type-R

July Monthly Meet - Friday 27th July - 20:00 hrs - LUNAR ECLIPSE NIGHT.

Daz Type-R

All.

July's monthly meet is scheduled for Friday 27th July, start time of 20:00 to 20:30 hrs at our Wymeswold dark site.

This meet has been arranged to coincide with the lunar eclipse that is happening on this night.

Please do not arrive any earlier than 20:00 hrs as the club house and car park will still be in use by the previous group.

The moon does not rise above the horizon until 21:00 hrs but the eclipse will have already started, we should be able to catch the moon leaving the Earth's shadow but not until approximately 22:00 hrs due to the trees surrounding the site (at 21:30 hrs the moon is only 9 degrees above the horizon).

The eclipse will end around 23:20, which will then leave us with a blindingly bright, 100% illuminated, mag -12.4 full moon!!!!

Assuming the moon is visible above the trees at 22:00 hrs, that should give us over an hour of observing time.

Mars, Jupiter and Saturn will also be on display but unfortunately quite low down but hopefully will be visible.

It should still be quite warm at this time of night but do bring warm clothing just in case, as the temperature can drop once the sun has set and do not forget your tea / coffee mugs.

Refreshments / snacks will be available, remember its £1 for unlimited drinks.

I hope to see a lot of you there, it should be a good night.

Any body wanting to come who is not a dark site member, remember your first visit is free and to any members who have not been before, if you need directions just shout up.

One last note, we normally set up close to the clubhouse but I think it will be best if we set up off to the right hand side (with the clubhouse / patio area behind you), that way you may be able to grab the eclipse sooner as it rises over the trees.

Fingers crossed for clear skies.

Daz.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Bino-viewer

I think if we go to the other end of the field we may get a better view....?

It will still be daylight anyway and once the moon climbs above the trees it will still be fully eclipsed.

I'm sure we can find a spot that is advantageous to follow it.

I think it will be low in the south anyway, one would assume near Mars, as that it at opposition the very same evening.

If we get to see it, it promises to be a great photo opportunity.

Bino-viewer

Just checked Ski Safari.

The eclipsed moon and Mars at opposition will be the width of a Telrad target apart.  2º ??

Daz Type-R

There is cricket practice for the juniors at WW on a Friday night, just waiting to find out what time they finish then I will alter the title and flesh out the 1st post with more details.

"W" permitting it should be a good show!

tuckstar

Moon rise isn't till 9pm so I would think we will be ok.

Daz Type-R

Original post edited with new info, change of date ETC.

BAZ

I'll be there for this one, it should be a good show.

Ron Clarke

Should be a good night, looking forward to it!

Craig

I haven't got a scope again yet, but I will pop along to say hello. It's been far too long.

philjay

Not working that weekend, no holidays planned, no other conficts.... Yeay the chances are I will make this one.

tuckstar

@BAZ don't suppose you're bringing your collimation kit are you? Think it's ok but not 100% sure the secondary is right. Not overly happy with the views I'm getting, thinking maybe pinched, but collimation first. Thanks.

Edited by tuckstar