• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help with MCB on Orion Sirius EQG

pscm

Yes it is a 3.3 volt regulator.  Wish i had a full schematic for the controller.  Would love to know for sure if the cap fix is going to solve the motor control "no response both axis" issue which is the original problem.  Motor control board is visually fine and i am not seeing some of the typical known issues out there although i realize visual does not necessarily mean anything.  Interesting in that even with the blown cap the hand controller operates as it should and firmware update took without issue.  The motor control was not recognized when trying to update it.  Based on what I am seeing maybe the damage I found is the culprit.  New caps should be here Thursday and hopefully the regulator not far behind.  I don't even know for sure if the regulator is bad.  It was recommended to change it.  I can actually test it first provided the cap doesn't blow although if it does I would know it is bad for sure.   I ordered extra caps just in case.   The scary part is if this doesn't fix the issue now the dilemma would be is the motor control or hand controller.  I would have to see if the club about an hour away has anyone with a synscan controller I suppose.

Just to really cheer you up. 

The board I took the photos from has exactly the same issue.

Been going back to it for over a year now and still can't find the problem. 

It has the same fault in both handset configuration and through eqmod. 

So mine has to be the board.

Edited by Graham

Well, good news, bad news.  Replaced the capacitor and checked out voltage regulator in hand controller.  Regulator is fine and capacitor didn't smoke.  Bad news is it didn't solve my problem.  On a hunch I ordered a new MCB the day before.  In a week I will know if it was a good investment or not.  Also got curious and started pricing out all the pieces on the motor control board to see if a mass replacement was in order.  I had two parts that I was not able to find what they were.  Other than that would have had about $50 plus shipping although at this point I elected not to go this route.  Couldn't get all the parts from one place so I suspect the dollar amount would have driven up to new board costs.

Well no one can say you didn't try Phil, good effort. I hope you get your mount sorted soon.

Welcome to my world Phil. 

Like I said been going back to mine on and off now for over a year and I still can't find out what is wrong with it. 

If you ever solve this mystery please let me know. 

I will do likewise for you. 

It's a real head scratcher. 

So this has turned into a bit of a mess.   I ended up getting a new MCB based on research and suggestions.   Guess what?  I am out $150 and it didn't fix it.   I have looked over the power input board for any obvious issues and re-soldered one of the harness's as it was looking shady.  I was thinking about trying EQ direct to see if I can confirm motor operation but then saw on the forum that a wifi control using an app is available.  For the money this is better anyways.  If that doesn't fix it then we are down to motors and power board.  Quick question.  I have read somewhere that you can hook up a voltmeter and spin the motors to confirm they are good.  Curious which wires/pins to tap to check this.   Does anyone know this answer? 

Not sure if this will work on stepper motors. 

Normal DC motors will act as a dynamo if you spin them up.

At a guess if you connect two wires and check for continuity to make sure you are across a coil it might work. 

Edited by Graham

This is exactly the same problem I have with the board here.

Checking the board out you should have 30 volts supply to the motors. 

Mine is definitely a command signal issue but finding the problem is a nightmare. 

I will know tonight if the wifi adapter fixes it.  If not we would be down to the switch/power supply board or motors.  Knowing what was blown on the hand controller I suspect this is the culprit not passing the signals properly.  The beauty is if this fixes it the adapter is only $60 US and I can throw the hand controller in a bucket.  Ah and as I type I just got a message from fedex that the package arrived.  More to come. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my dead board is still dead even on eqmod. 

Ha Ha! It is alive!  The hand contoller was bad and the Wi-Fi adapter brought it to life.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the mount.  A new adventure for sure.   While I was bored and waiting I disassembled the mount, cleaned and greased.  Even with the needed board I am all in for around $600. Not a steal but I am ok with this.  I look at it as I have a spare board in the event that something happens.  Thanks for all the help.  I am sure I will be back with operational questions or image questions.

Yey thats great news. 

I am really pleased for you. 

On the subject of the board can you take me a photo of the little black unit that sits beside the large black cap you changed at the outset. 

Top left of the board as you look at it with the lead sockets on top.

I think it is some kind of choke. 

Need a part number. 

Thanks 

Thanks.

What I need is a photo or a part number of that little black thing that sits on the 4 square terminals right next to the large cap under the socket top right as you look at your photo. 

It is marked up as L1

Edited by Graham

Ah, now is know what you mean.  Unfortunately either of my boards have no identifiers on them either. 

Can you grab me a nice close up of it for me please. 

Mine disintegrated into a hundred bits.

Many thanks 

Graham,  As requested.  It is a 4 prong I assume inductor with some sort of polarity.  IMG_0160.jpg?raw=1

Brilliant stuff. 

Thanks very much. 

Just got to find out what it is now.