• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Effects of pinched optics

Peter Shah

Very nice. Glad you got it sorted so quickly. ?

That NGC1981 is a lovely bright cluster which gets overlooked because of its nebulous neighbour.

You got the Running Man as well. ?

Edited by Tweedledee

Good result Pete.

My 132 suffered with pinched optics among other things.

It took a hammer and chisel to free the objective I kid you not.

It was second hand and really showed up in cooler conditions, I can only believe that the previous owner had been in and cleaned and nipped the triplet up nice and snug ?

14 hours ago, Ibbo said:

Good result Pete.

My 132 suffered with pinched optics among other things.

It took a hammer and chisel to free the objective I kid you not.

It was second hand and really showed up in cooler conditions, I can only believe that the previous owner had been in and cleaned and nipped the triplet up nice and snug ?

Normally shows up when its colder. I'm sure they are setup perfectly in the factory where  climate is much warmer. 

A good post there Pete.

The same thing can happen to reflectors as well when the mirror clips are too tight. It happened to my 300P when I first cleaned the mirror, I pooped my pant's I thought I had killed it. Again just a tweak was all it took. Apparently the mirror has to "float", that is be retained but not gripped by the clips. 

Surprisingly common this, I had a OO Usa 102ed doublet some years ago which did this when temperatures dropped below 0. A slight loosening of the retaining ring sorted it. Wish I still had that scope.

3 hours ago, BAZ said:

A good post there Pete.

The same thing can happen to reflectors as well when the mirror clips are too tight. It happened to my 300P when I first cleaned the mirror, I pooped my pant's I thought I had killed it. Again just a tweak was all it took. Apparently the mirror has to "float", that is be retained but not gripped by the clips. 

You are correct the mirror does need to float but if your optics are fast then there is less tolerance as any slight movement will show up especially with some of the hi performing correctors you can get real ugly stars. I have a method for setting up my AG12, at F3.8 its very challenging to set up correctly so that its stable through all seasons but that  goes for all fast Newts though......