• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Don't miss Thursday's transit

Tweedledee

Get your scopes ready. Last chance to see it for 161 years! The transit will be visible for nearly 10 hours though!

On Thursday 12th July 2018 the earth and moon transit the sun - as seen from Pluto. ?

With Pluto's orbital period and inclination, I thought this would be a much rarer event than it actually is.

Some interesting info in this article...

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/earth-transit-from-pluto-july-12-2018?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=a0dfa33463-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_02_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-a0dfa33463-395104529

• Like 3

I've often wondered if the Earth / and / or moon ever transits the sun as seen from the surface of Mars ?

Must be a very rare event : probably as common as Venus solar transits are from Earth.

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I've often wondered if the Earth / and / or moon ever transits the sun as seen from the surface of Mars ?

Must be a very rare event : probably as common as Venus solar transits are from Earth.

I bet one of the planetarium software programs will plot these things from the perspective of other planets.

Maybe someone with have a go. I gather @Smithysteve knows SkySafari inside out.

Stolen from wiki:-

A transit of Earth across the Sun as seen from Mars takes place when the planet Earthpasses directly between the Sun and Mars, obscuring a small part of the Sun's disc for an observer on Mars. During a transit, Earth would be visible from Mars as a small black disc moving across the face of the Sun. They occur every 26, 79 and 100 years, and every 1,000 years or so there is an extra 53rd-year transit.

15 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Stolen from wiki:-

A transit of Earth across the Sun as seen from Mars takes place when the planet Earthpasses directly between the Sun and Mars, obscuring a small part of the Sun's disc for an observer on Mars. During a transit, Earth would be visible from Mars as a small black disc moving across the face of the Sun. They occur every 26, 79 and 100 years, and every 1,000 years or so there is an extra 53rd-year transit.

Fascinating. ?

There's some intriguing clockwork  mathematics behind those figures. ?

8 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

There's some intriguing clockwork  mathematics behind those figures?

It's from Wiki so it must be right!!!!