• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Meade Lightbridge 12” dob

gfletcher

Hi guys

what is your opinion of the Meade Lightbridge 12” dob.

Also can anyone give me an indication of what a sensible secondhand price maybe . Approx age 2 to 3 years.

thanks

Graham

Well I've had the 16" Lightbridge in the past and it needed some mods to make it brilliant, but once done it was a great scope. I've also had a 12" 300P dob which I paid £800 three years ago for so I would estimate a 12" Lightbridge would be around the £500 mark.

Thanks Doc

you mention mods that you made, what may these mods have been?

Strengthen the rocker box, add az setting circle and wixey angle guage for alt. Flock the tube and top box, add bob's knobs for the secondary mirror. Add a potentiometer to control the fan, levelling feet, and secondary heater. Needs a few extra mirror box weights to get it balanced in alt, plus stronger center pin for the az. Add an RAF and/or a Telrad finder, and either tweak or replace the focuser. Also needs a shroud for best results and wheelbarrow mod for wheels and handles. I actually built a whole new rocker box for mine - there's a thread in the DIY section with all the pics. Hth ?

(I'm sure I missed something lol)

Thanks for that . Hadn’t seen that.  Does £500 seem reasonable?