• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
seven_legs

Wymeswold saturday the 14th

seven_legs

hi all,

myself and rob are planning to go to Wymeswold on Saturday night about 21:00 ish. Wondered if anyone else fancied it?

I will be taking my new scope with me, Explore scientific 16 truss tube dobsonian and giving it is first light.

the weather looks ok.

hope to see you there

Daz Type-R

I`m on call this week but as work is only 10 minutes away from the WW dark site I may just pop up with the dob, not been out observing from a dark site for a while.

Will see how the on call issues go between now and then and decide closer to the time.

Ron Clarke

I'm away with the caravan to Witney, sorry ...

seven_legs

Havr a nice time Ron. 

Looking Forward to Saturday night 

bryand

Yes,  can make it.  Have a new binoviewer and bits to try out.

Wetfeet

Hi all,  I'm up for this. Have telescope,  need to learn how to drive it now! I particularly need some help setting up the mount, I thought I got it but it doesn't agree with me. And just the opportunity to use the dark site is,  of course, always welcome. 

tuckstar

I might bring the old zeiss out for a couple of hours. She could do with some light.

seven_legs

Great.

jonathan, I sure between us all we should be able to help you with your scope.

i am bringing a new scope and probably have teething problems lol. plus I want to pick people’s brains about a few things

seven_legs

Will we be able to use the facilities there,ie the toilets 

tuckstar

If me or Daz are there the club house will be open. If I do come it won't be all night. 

Bino-viewer

If it looks nice i should be ok to pop up for a couple of hours.

Been on earlies this week (up at 5 Saturday) so i'll be flagging later on....

Bryans new binoviewer has alerted my radar though.....😉

BAZ

I am out sure how this will pan out this weekend yet. But if I can make it I will do.

Daz Type-R

Unless I get called out around 20:30 hrs I’m a go, will bring the tea brewing kit with me.

I have no idea if any body will be using the club house tonight, so I’m hoping nobody will be there around 21:00 if they are.

If possible, can the first person there stick up a post if we can’t get in please?

seven_legs

There’s nothing on the Wymeswold scouts hut event calendar 

Sheila

Will try to make it and bring cake 😁

Bino-viewer

I'm going to have to miss tonight chaps, sorry.

Been up all day, and am up at 5 in the morning again.

Have a good night, clear skys !

newtyng5

Was a good night. Nice to meet everyone again. Enjoyed seeing some familiar objects, plus Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. And really enjoyed the views from Tony's (seven_legs) new 16" ES Dob.

BAZ

It was fair to say we did the best we could with the sky, it wasn't really dark enough until gone one and the seeing was fairly poor. You could see aircraft headlights stretching out in front of them on approach to EMA.

That said, it's not often you can observe in a tee shirt, 26° on arrival and 14° on leaving, I did have to put a sweat shirt on though.

I finally got to see stuff after finding out I had crap on the inside of the front lens and had to remove the front lens cell to clean it off, it must have been in there for years and chose that night to dislodge.

The Planets were the main objects of interest and these didn't do too bad. Venus showed a half phase in scooby doo vision, Jupiter had the two man cloud bands and little else on display. Saturn was awesome as always , but the seeing wasn't good enough to pull out the Cassini division and Mars was really bright, on par with Jupiter. 

I tried various filters, particularly with Mars, yellow green and blue (80a). Although it attenuated the brightness, nothing was discernible on the disc.

It was still good to get out and see some of the old favourites, M57, M27, M31. My original intention was to have a look round Scorpio and and Sagittarius, but the light from the industrial estate was too great to see into that area.

I and a few others did see a really bright meteor, at 21.58 screaming in to the low northern horizon, so bright it looked like a firework and bright enough to be seen in daylight.

Thanks for the great company to all who attended, Tony's new Dob is a thing of beauty and will be stunning when the nights get darker.