• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Whirled Cup

Yes, I thought we'd get through last night but what do I know? I confidently predicted that Germany would win, so perhaps I can't be trusted.

We tried hard but lost to the better team on the night. We have equalled our 2nd-best performance at the World Cup and in the (statistically unlikely) event that we beat Belgium on Saturday, we would beat that.

I am one of the increasingly few people alive who remember 1966 but we were ranked 12th in the world before the finals and were not playing at home. Most of us would have settled for losing in the semi-finals before the tournament started, so I think we did well.

We played well in the first half, scored a good goal then once again found it hard to add another goal in open play. Then the second half we just sat back and defended allowing Croatia to gather strength. It was just a matter of time until they scored. England seem to do this a lot, score first and then settle in to defend. It doesn't work and if we carried on attacking in the second half then maybe it would have been a different outcome. In extra time they were just knackered and couldn't chase the ball, a bit of a shame considering they were the youngest team in the world cup, so one must presume the fittest.

All in all a good world cup but I just can't stand all that passing back to the keeper.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

Been away the past few days. We found a pub to eat out at last night without a telly or radio blaring away, it was great to get away from the world cr@p and wombledon overcoverage. The bloke on the next table was watching it avidly on his phone, then leant over and said "Do you want to know the score?" My reply was "No thanks, we came here to get away from it"

Oh and I was 11 in 66 and didnt watch that either. Proud to be a disbeliever.

Edited by philjay
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, philjay said:

it was great to get away from the world cr@p and wombledon overcoverage

You and I are kindred spirits! ?

• Like 2

Rugby for me! Where you try to convince the Ref you are OK to play on despite missing a limb instead of all this rolling round looking like you have been hit by an anti tank round.

When was that sport? 

I enjoyed football up to the age of about 17, then just lost interest. I do like it when England are winning at anything, it just cheers everyone up, including me. Though I was interested to see the scores and really hoped we kept winning, I couldn't sit through a match. ?

I watched the World Cup and I am proud of what our lads achieved, you can't fault their commitment and they actually played like a team. I always support my country.

On 12/07/2018 at 16:38, philjay said:

Been away the past few days. We found a pub to eat out at last night without a telly or radio blaring away, it was great to get away from the world cr@p and wombledon overcoverage. The bloke on the next table was watching it avidly on his phone, then leant over and said "Do you want to know the score?" My reply was "No thanks, we came here to get away from it"

Oh and I was 11 in 66 and didnt watch that either. Proud to be a disbeliever.

You are as ancient as I am. I was 11 in 66 and jumped up and down on the sofa when England scored.