• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

bryand

Perseids Party at Tannenbaum, August 11th/12th?

bryand

Anybody up for a meet at the Belper Tannenbaum site for the peak of the Perseids meteors, August 11th/12th?

Daz Type-R

I’m away I’m afraid.

BAZ

Will do if it looks good, I'll even stay over and might even make a weekend of it. Good shout Bryan.

tuckstar

I've booked the Monday off, and it's supposed to be a good year for it so I might well be along.

Bino-viewer

Thats my long weekend, so a yes from me 😀

They are saying the 12/13th Sunday night may be the better night (both are good)

so is there an option of the Sunday night if Saturday night is clouded out........??

bryand

I've booked in with Sharon for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, so there will be at least one of us there all weekend (but not necessarily during the day)

Sharon says she isn't full, but has a number of bookings and would expect the site to fill up, esp for the saturday night, so if you want to camp, early booking may be advisable.

I'll take my BBQ and run it from 18:00 to 20:30 Saturday and Sunday nights, so if you want to bring some grub to cook, you're welcome.

BAZ

Very generous of you Bryan. Thanks for the heads up.

I have put in for the Monday off too, lets see what happens.

Edited by BAZ

newtyng5

Definitely will be there for the Perseids. No moon, perfect this year.

philjay

Only tent pitches left appatently so I wont be staying over. I shall pop up if the weather looks ok one night

BAZ

Got the Monday off approved today, so have booked the 10/11/12 nights. Weeeee!

Wetfeet

I've just booked the Friday and Saturday nights for camping,  got to be back at work on Monday. Where do I book the clear skies?

Looking forward to it. 

DaveJW

I'm off on the Monday so may weli turn up Sunday evening.

Bino-viewer

The weather is looking a bit iffy for the Saturday night.

Sunday a bit better, but by no means crystal clear.......

BAZ

I still think I am taking the tent up though, I am sure I'll find something to do. Even reading would be a break.

bryand

The nearest webcams to Tannenbaum I can find are those of the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in Wirksworth (3 miles NW of the campsite).

This Northward view includes a chunk of sky which may be indicative of conditions at Tannenbaum.

BAZ

That said, my car is still in the garage having failed the MOT with rotted sills, it's been in two Weeks now and I haven't heard if if it's been done yet. I need it back for Thursday to get it packed. I am ringing them tomorrow anyway, although they do good work, they are crap at keeping you informed.

Derbyshire Dave

Yes,

Great idea! And thanks for the BBQ offer Bryan. Am away at a festival Fri/Saturday, but will definitely come up Sunday even if it's cloudy..😀🙃😀

Bino-viewer

If there was a FULL moon rather than the NEW moon this weekend coinciding with the Pleiades 

you could guarantee clear skys i'm sure.

Its called Sods Law.

Look what happened last week with the eclipse. You could put your mortgage on it !

seven_legs

Looking like Friday might should be clear until 4 in the morning and I think after that there’s no chance of any clear skies.

I think myself and Rob will come. I will still bring my scope be will mainly keep an eye out for the meteors.

never been to the campsite so looking forward to it.

Wetfeet

I'm still going,  looking forward to a couple of days away.  Hopefully Clear Outside is right about tomorrow evening! 

Is there a favourite part of the site for EMS activity? 

bryand

I think it will be a free-for-all when we get there, but in the past, locations at the bottom of the field (farthest from the road) have been successful, so I'll be aiming to get down there.

Wetfeet

Thanks Bryan, I was looking at the photos of the site and trying to work out where would be best. Hopefully we'll be able to find each other over the weekend,  I would like to accept your kind barbeque offer on Saturday evening if it still stands. I've got a green car,  a blue tent and a black dog if that helps 😀