• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I actually got a scope out last night for 2 hours wow

philjay

Was packing up to go to bed at around 23:15, (still hadnt recovered from a 10 mile hike in the peaks the day before so was a bit tired), when locking up I noticed a large gap in the clouds heading my way so got the meade 127 set up in the obs in the twinkling of an eye and was waiting 1st for Mars to come in to view than saturn.

Got both eventually and the conditions although misty werent too bad stability wise. I was able to use my new Vixen Lanthanum eyepieces properly for the 1st time and I was not dissapointed. Once the scope had cooled Acidalium and Meridianii on Mars were so obvious even without filters. A red filter made them stand out really well. I have been impressed and also dissapointed in this latest Mars aparition because I have not caught Syrtis Major due to weather, viewing times etc, I just keep missing it.

The blue filter brought out the ice cap nicely and the atmospheric haze on the limb. The disc is now obviously gibbous and not circular as it slips further away from us, 400x, (5mm LVW eyepiece through Vixen barlow) showed a still useable image but I reckon another month and it'll be too small to do anything with.

Saturn eventually poked through the clouds and wow at 400x it took my breath away. cassini was dead easy with a nice dark line around the front of the rings as well. The image size and clarity were astounding, the size was akin to what I used to get with my old C11 but the clarity and contrast and sharpness were better by far. The C ring was there and lots of belt gradations on the globe of the planet.

The cloud then came over fully at 01:30 so I packed away. A nice stolen moment to test my new eyepieces and barlow

Saturn looked good tonight as well, Mars however was a bit lacking, mostly due to neighbours conservatory.

Well done mate, glad the new glass turned out well

At last after watching my new 10" Dob sitting lonely in the corner of the Conservatory for 10 a week ,got chance to get it out last night

excellent view of Saturn , really need to get onto a darker site soon the lights of South Derbyshire do not help.

Need to look at some EP's now once ive passed through my no spending cerfew , my wife thinks 2 scopes in 6 weeks is a little excessive

Amasingly there was an hour of misty clearish patches last night as well so managed Venus, Mars and Saturn, its just nice to be out with a scope again no matter how short the period.

The new glass works a treat thanks John, I am well pleased with the choice