• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS LOAN SCOPE.

BAZ

Dave Simons, ( Rock Doctor) very kindly gave me a Celestron 114mm Reflector on a EQ mount.

This was destined for my Grand daughter, but after having a chat with them, although they are very grateful of the offer, don't have the room to store it.

So after a chat with Dave, it will now be available to members of EMS who do not have a scope of their own.

If anyone would like to use this scope, which has been collimated, please stick a post in this thread.

I would like to say a big thank you to Dave for his generosity, both in offering it my Grand daughter, and now EMS.

The length of the loan period I suppose depends on how many would like to use it, and the weather window that's available during the loan period.

If anyone is not sure how it all works, I'll happily show you how to set it up and use it.

Full instructions are included.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doc

• BAZ

• Daz Type-R

• Johnnyaardvark

I love his forum name, Rock Doctor. I have a pet rock, but it's always been fine. Don't do much though!

But if it's ever off colour, I know who to call. :D

Guest Steve

As it's a loan scope, does the normal 3 weeks of rain thing still apply? Maybe we could sort this whole water shortage thing by careful management of the loan scope!!

I would definitely have gone for a borrow of this if it had been available while I was making up my mind what to order, so nice one Dave.

I think it would be a good idea to only lend it out to beginner observers after an instruction session, maybe at a dark site. I remember borrowing a loan scope from the Torbay Astro Society when I was 15 or so, but I didn't know what to do with it. I think a little instruction and being shown a wow object would have got me hooked back then.

(Mind you, I'd probably resemble Quasimodo by now if I'd have spent 30 years hunched over telescopes).

I think this is a cracking idea and a big thank you needs to go out to Dave for his generosity.

Yet another reason why EMS is great!

Fabulous idea, and a great gesture typical of the freindly type of folks in EMS. :)

What a good idea and a very generous gesture. You gotta love the folks on EMS. B)

Guest Tweedledum

Having an EMS scope is something I have advocated for some time. This would mean some investment by EMS as a group. There has been some resistance as to how it may be store, booked out, looked after etc.

Perhaps we can now see the practicalities of doing so with this scope with some eye on the future of having an EMS scope.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Martyn, are you in possesion of the EMS load scope?

If so, I have a Standard 2x Skywatcher barlow which I never use (in fact it is the one I got off you :)), would proberbly only get a fiver for it which would then be gone on postage, so just thought I could add it to the EMS loan scope, then newbies get an idea about barlows as well.

Let me know if interested and I will pop it round one night.

Fab idea Daz as it doesn't have one at the moment. Thank you.

I added another eyepiece to it, so it's not a bad little set up now.

I'll catch up with you in the week.

It a 1.25" fit only. Anything that can improve it would be very welcome, Dave already supplied a moon filter Pat, but thanks for the offer.

If anyone wishes to use this, don't be shy, contact me and I will deliver it if you are Notts, Derbys, Leic. If further we could meet somewhere.

It's there for someone to get the hang of using a scope before buying one. I will gladly show you how it works, and what to expect.

I'll chuck in some books I don't use anymore as well.

Very kind Pat, but may be a bit too much for a newbie.

Iam sure there will be plenty of offers for a trip to the dark side from others.

Thanks again for thinking about it.

Mods / admins, would it be best if this topic was "pinned", so it stays at the top of the listing?

Edited by Daz type-r

Hi Martyn,

A week ago, I bought "The Cambridge Star Atlas" (Wil Tirion) from Amazon. It turned out not to be quite the thing I was looking for. Got the S&T Pocket one and the Cambridge Photographic Atlas on order now.

I nearly put it on ebay and then thought about the loan scope. If you don't already have an atlas to go with the scope, I would be happy to donate this. It is in perfect condition and has never even been outside under a damp night sky.

I can deliver or post it to you, if want it.

As long as you don't think some beginner might spend all night trying to locate some 12th mag galaxy out of it :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Pete.

That's very kind of you Pete. If your'e sure you don't want to sell it, It would be a useful addition to the set.

Many Thanks.

Would much rather know it is helping an EMS member learn the sky.

Please PM me with an address and I should be able to get it to you within 2 or 3 days.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible for us to borrow the loan scope please? We are coming on Friday. :)