• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Recommendations for Replacement Barlow Lens Telescope Eyepiece

AdamSommerfield

Hi all,

Sorry for joining then going off-radar for about 3 months, had a small matter of potential job redundancy to navigate through!  Anyways, all sorted now thankfully....

I have the Celestron Astromaster 130 telescope, could someone kindly recommend for me please a good replacement Telescope Eyepiece.  I have lost one of the originals (the smaller of the two).  I can see the original Celestron parts are a little pricey so a good quality (read: bit cheaper!) 3rd party option would be ideal!

Thanks!

Adam

Have a look on Astro buy , there was some stock lenses and Barlow for sale 10mm 25mm and Barlow recently 

• Like 1

P.S. Redundancy is horrible. It's tempting to splash it on gear but after redundancy, it's amazing how many things suddenly go wrong with the house, car, etc.

Even redundaphobia is pretty awful.

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/07/2018 at 21:26, Sunny Phil said:

P.S. Redundancy is horrible. It's tempting to splash it on gear but after redundancy, it's amazing how many things suddenly go wrong with the house, car, etc.

Even redundaphobia is pretty awful.

Too right!  Well, as it goes I managed to avoid the axe by the good grace of a colleague who put me forward for another role internally; but it was a close one!!

Cheers  ?

On 27/07/2018 at 20:55, Bottletopburly said:

Have a look on Astro buy , there was some stock lenses and Barlow for sale 10mm 25mm and Barlow recently 

Thanks guys.

Daft question then; I can use different makes and models as alternatives?  I'm guessing the official Celestron ones will be more expensive?  I was worried about buying one that didn't fit!

Any eyepiece with a 1.25" nose piece will fit. The orginal eyepieces you get are not all that and I would look at other options. Obviously the more you spend the better you can get and you can always keep eyepieces when/if you upgrade your scope. The bst explorers are always put forward as a good replacement but I haven't used them myself.

Hi Adam and welcome to EMS ?

The 130 usually comes with a 25mm and 10mm eyepieces. They're not that brilliant like Andy says - but they are quite usable enough to get you going with the scope when it's new.

The shorter one will be the 10mm and I've just had a look through my odds and ends and I have a spare 1.25" Celestron one. No end caps and might need a little dusting/cleaning. But it's yours for free if you want it. Just drop me a pm with your address and I'll jiffy it off to you. Enjoy the forum ?