• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What happens if you leave a parabolic mirror in the car?

Craig

Just now, Graham said:

That mirror is going to take some cleaning ?

I reckon you'd be up to the task. ?

Is there a link or a picture in the first post? I can't see anything other than text.......

30 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

Is there a link or a picture in the first post? I can't see anything other than text.......

It's a link to a public Facebook post. What are you viewing this on? It's working on my PC and iPhone.

Laptop running Windows 7.......

(Oh and I'm running the forum "dark" theme)

Edited by Brantuk

Ah that works - I can see it and click on it and it goes to the facebook page fine - thanks Craig ?

I had the same problem Kim, ?, ok now!

It is a good thing the car did not go up in flames, the mirror might have been damaged!

That is quite a mirror too!

I wonder what the focal length was! ?

Edited by Smithysteve

37 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Thankfully a lot longer than the distance between the mirror and the roof

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

17 minutes ago, Graham said:

Thankfully a lot longer than the distance between the mirror and the roof

Probably an f4 20", but might have been f3. If we said f4 ie 2 metre focal length and the height of the car boot was 1 metre, the light from the sun would be concentrated to half the diameter, area wise that is a 4x concentration of the suns rays. As you know, leaning your bare arm on the plastic car window ledge exposed to direct summer sun can burn your arm. So that temperature might be say 90c. Times 4 could make it 360c! That is easily going to produce that sort of melting of the plastic trim. I dare say if you set up a 20" mirror accurately as a solar furnace, you might easily get 1000c at the focal plane. Just another reminder not to point a scope at the sun without a proper full aperture solar filter to attenuate the light several thousand times before it even enters the OTA.

Some scopes have plastic parts around secondary mirror or focuser that could melt in seconds never mind the grave damage to your eye.

Edited by Tweedledee

34 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

I guess it would be the same if the mirror was spherical or hyperbolic.

Or even just concave to a reasonable degree. ?

A lesson for us all here......

About 20 years ago, my wife came close to burning down our house by leaving a mirror 'unatended'

It wasn't an astro mirror, but a simple bathroom makeup mirror.

Its one of those 2 sided ones where you get a more magnified view on one side, about 6 inch diameter.

Hot summers day, mirror left on the dressing table.

About 10 feet away was a dressing gown hanging up.

You can guess the rest.

At a certain point, the sun reflected off the mirror and on to the dressing gown.

Luckily, VERY LUCKILY, i was off work (my wife was AT work) and was in the upstairs bathroom decorating.

I smelt smoke, and went to investigate the back bedroom.

It was always hot in there as it faced south, and i went in to see the dressing gown literally burst into flames,

and really take hold. Thankfully a bath towel was nearby and i managed to smother the flames in the nick of time.

Had i been out or downstairs even, i reckon the whole room and attic above it would have gone up in no time.

That was a close shave and a lesson learned. 

Although we don't have one (but should) this is as good a reason as any for buying a fire extinguisher)

We still have the mirror, but are now alot more careful with it.

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Thanks 1

They are probably responsible for more house fires than most other things.

On 28/07/2018 at 11:34, Tweedledee said:

Probably an f4 20", but might have been f3. If we said f4 ie 2 metre focal length and the height of the car boot was 1 metre, the light from the sun would be concentrated to half the diameter, area wise that is a 4x concentration of the suns rays. As you know, leaning your bare arm on the plastic car window ledge exposed to direct summer sun can burn your arm. So that temperature might be say 90c. Times 4 could make it 360c! That is easily going to produce that sort of melting of the plastic trim. I dare say if you set up a 20" mirror accurately as a solar furnace, you might easily get 1000c at the focal plane. Just another reminder not to point a scope at the sun without a proper full aperture solar filter to attenuate the light several thousand times before it even enters the OTA.

You could put your 20” to a good second use Pete, instant barbecue! You would have to shield it from the sun whilst you turn the burgers and sausages over! Or you might barbecue yourself! ????

18 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

You could put your 20” to a good second use Pete, instant barbecue! You would have to shield it from the sun whilst you turn the burgers and sausages over! Or you might barbecue yourself! ????

Well, I do like my barbecue meat very well done, but I think it might be incinerated at F4 and I don't like the idea of fat and oil dripping onto my mirror. ?