• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

John Dobson

newtyng5

Come see the moon

I used to have 'the astronomers' box set on vhs many years ago. (Wish I could get in on dvd or blu ray, but it seems to not be available now, it was about 1990 > not the new one)

John Dobson has always been as pivotal to my enjoyment in astronomy as Patrick Moore and Carl Sagan, but for some reason he never really got accepted by mainstream astronomers. He brought astronomy into the reaches of folks that only dreamed of owning a telescope,  with the invention of a dobsonian mount.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

He was the poor man's astronomer, he made his own mirrors and had a passion that few have. Without his ideas I wouldn't be enjoying the hobby as much, great post Rob.

Nice post.

JD was one of a kind wasn't he, still actively observing well into his 90s.

13 hours ago, BAZ said:

He was the poor man's astronomer, he made his own mirrors and had a passion that few have. Without his ideas I wouldn't be enjoying the hobby as much, great post Rob.

One of the great things I have learned, not just through my own adventures in astronomy but also though reading boards, etc, that us amateurs are great innovators. Most of us don't have big budgets and have to adapt things to do what we want. Apart from the Dobsonian mount, I think one of the best adaptations in amateur astronomy was the use of webcams. I'm hoping to be observing right up to my final days, too,

That and the ones following it are great videos.

What a character! What a difference he made to the amateur astronomers game! ?

• Like 1