• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Something different

Tweedledee

If you want a little challenge and a change from the well known clusters, here is an interesting list of alternatives ideal for binoculars and smaller telescopes. Some pretty photo's as well.

/>http://www.deep-sky.co.uk/asterisms.htm

You might even find a few asterisms of your own, and name them.

I've seen quite a few of these Pete, my favs are the Coathanger and ET.

I love searching out these pretty little asterism. Most of them aren't marked on any star map and you can't find them using goto. So you have to do a bit of planning and revert to some old fashioned star hopping.

I found Kembles Cascade by accident while star hopping for NGC 1502 and thought it looked nice, it was only later that I found it had a name and was a well known asterism. Then I searched out a few more. I like to look at NGC 2169 "I see 37" in Orion under high power. This is a real cluster association with all the stars 3600 light years away.

The Coathanger is a lovely site on a summer night, and helps you to find the elusive fuzzy patch of NGC 6802, if you have a clear sky and good aperture

All good fun.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Pete, there are some nice one's to have ago for there. I've bookmarked it.

Binoculars are underrated in my humble opinion.