• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling 2019 23rd September to 30th September 2019

Sheila

Diagnosed with bladder cancer in my lungs at the beginning of the year, has advanced to a stage where I will not be able to attend. If anyone wants my pitch they are very welcome

On 02/08/2019 at 17:37, The Bagman said:

Diagnosed with bladder cancer in my lungs at the beginning of the year, has advanced to a stage where I will not be able to attend. If anyone wants my pitch they are very welcome

Very sorry to hear this, will be a shame not to see you there.  I will try and allocate the pitch for this year.

All the best

I am so sorry to hear this sad news Chris. I hope you are as well as can be and my thoughts are with you. Take care mate. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am on call this weekend, so can't go too far.

So I got the Dob out and gave it a once over to make sure it's ready for it's annual holiday. And it is!

I just need to give the batteries a test and then sort out the bits and bobs that go with it.

I'll dig out the camping gear a bit nearer the day and get that ready to go.

I'll not be taking as much this year, as last year I found that stuff I thought I needed didn't actually get used. 

There seems to be a rather a lot of trees Martyn ?

Are they an issue ?

One would have thought that an astro camp would have been allocated a site in a 

clear area, rather than in the middle of a forest ?? ?

They do hinder some views a bit, but generally, no.  By the time stuff has risen out of the murk it's high enough to be above the tree line.  

What you would do is put your scopes down the middle and tents to the outer edge of the pitch to maximise the sky. Anyone under the tree's is generally welcome to do the same.

Rather poetically, the Milky Way heads down directly towards the toilet block!

2 hours ago, BAZ said:

Just been on Google maps and took a screen shot of my pitch and I am almost sure that there is my old trailer tent and Sheila's mobile hotel in the shot.

lower down the site is Allan's camper too I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rn4lidktnck4mrf/screenshot 2019-08-18 11.55.16.png?dl=0

Yes I think your right there mate also that’s Stephens campervan down across from me at the bottom 

• 2 weeks later...

Three weeks and counting! Although I will need a new car before then, as my trusty old Picasso has developed a steering fault and it just isn't worth spending money on a thirteen year old motor. Could be fun!

Just managed to grab a pitch for a couple of nights (Wed, Thur).

Cocked up my Exmoor trip, so really looking forward to this one!

• Like 2

Sorry Folks for the late call off but I’ve been away. Sadly I can’t make it this year as we are going to a family wedding. So my pitch is free

@ibbo

this pitch is now free and probably for longer than pitch 231, if you want this one perhaps you can sort out with teslar and pretend to be him

I dont know what days he booked for?   edit Thursday till Monday

Edited by Sheila