• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astro Mod 1100D

Alec

I’m getting more into DSO objects, my Canon 1100D is not modded. Would I be best to get the camera modded and insert a HA clip filter or invest in a cooled cod camera ? 

That would depend on your budget TBH.   Cooled CCD is much better (mono with filters) but much more expensive.

Also have seen brilliant shots of DSO's from canon cameras.

I would, if you have the budget go for a CCD  narrowband and LRGB filters.  It widens your choice of subject and gives more

detail.  But as always nothing is cheap in this hobby ?

Sheila

That’s the problem, Cost! May start with a ZWO1600 unless anyone else has a recommendation about the £600 mark 

The only problem is you might get a used ccd for that but then you have to add on the adapters and filters etc. You may be just as well to mod the canon. Then wait until you have more funds to get exactly what you want ?  the canon will still give you good dso shots 

FWIW, all my images are with a modded 1100D, though I'm pretty much a novice as far as imaging is concerned.

I'd like to eventually progress to CCDs, but that's way down the line. Plenty of targets for a modded dslr to tackle.