• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mirror cooling

Tweedledee

Did a bit of a SketchUp a while back and drew a fan grill that will support a 200mm pc fan for cooling the 20" mirror.

The fan is a 200mm pwm fan to which I also have the pwm controller. It is extremely quiet and vibration free and comes with anti-vibration mounts. But at that size, shifts a lot of air!

The grill was very neatly water jet cut by a local firm from 1.5mm thick stainless steel directly from my SketchUp file. I'm sure Graham would have done the job cheaper, but at the time I ordered it, he was up to his neck in concrete and steel.

The grill design reflects the hexagonal shape of my lower tube assembly. I don't make life easy for myself. ?

The fan will fit via the rubber anti-vibration mounts to the grill, and the grill will then bolt to the 18mm ply bottom of the lower tube assembly via a gasket that I will cut from a 5mm thick neoprene foam rubber sheet. 3mm thick neoprene foam washers will isolate the bolts from the grill on the outside. Braces as well as a belt to help stop transmission of any unwanted vibes. ?

I also got two tiny 40mm pwm fans from the same manufacturer to remove the boundary layer from the front surface of the mirror by blowing across from the side...

grill2d.png?raw=1

20180819_183446-1512x2016.jpg?raw=1

20180819_190507-1512x2016.jpg?raw=1