• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flat Earth

This poll was on the American population. 

I heard that another poll of Americans showed that 51% of them had been abducted by aliens at some time in their lives! ?

It should be absolutely obvious that they have this all wrong. Earth is neither a globe nor is it flat. This picture shows exactly how it is...

PSM_V10_D562_The_hindoo_earth.jpg?raw=1

That’s one big turtle!

People will tend believe anything if told often and robustly enough. There is plenty of evidence around us every day to prove that. We are all susceptible to some degree. But some more than others! ?

2 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

That’s one big turtle!

Perhaps we should report this to the animal welfare people. ?

2 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

People will tend believe anything if told often and robustly enough. There is plenty of evidence around us every day to prove that. We are all susceptible to some degree. But some more than others! ?

Totally agree that we are all susceptible to some degree, but mainly to do with things we are unsure about or don't understand.

Some people are wary of science, perhaps due to a lack of education, or belief systems passed on to them by others. From the evidence I have read, I think this is very prevalent in America.

I think it is a worrying trend that such, often medieval beliefs, can hold such sway in the 21st century.

But then I would say that, because I'm a firm "believer" in science and rigorous scientific methods explaining the world (universe) around us.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

It should be absolutely obvious that they have this all wrong. Earth is neither a globe nor is it flat. This picture shows exactly how it is...

This is blatantly wrong. Don't you know how it snows?

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

21 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Perhaps we should report this to the animal welfare people. ?

Totally agree that we are all susceptible to some degree, but mainly to do with things we are unsure about or don't understand.

Some people are wary of science, perhaps due to a lack of education, or belief systems passed on to them by others. From the evidence I have read, I think this is very prevalent in America.

I think it is a worrying trend that such, often medieval beliefs, can hold such sway in the 21st century.

But then I would say that, because I'm a firm "believer" in science and rigorous scientific methods explaining the world (universe) around us.

Hi Pete, as a firm believer in science myself. I entirely agree with your sentiments. But how differently would we feel if we had been nurtured all our lives in America? I shudder to think!

18 hours ago, Craig said:

This is blatantly wrong. Don't you know how it snows?

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

There has to be something or someone on the outside to shake it to make the snow fall. Must be Craig, I know it's him who makes it snow on the EMS forum in winter time. ?

45 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Hi Pete, as a firm believer in science myself. I entirely agree with your sentiments. But how differently would we feel if we had been nurtured all our lives in America? I shudder to think!

We're starting to sound like those happy clappy mid west bible bashers.

? "I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE" ?

I cannot say I'm an expert on USA culture but have been a few times. We talk about the north/south divide in the UK but that's nothing like the difference between states. Without sounding snobbish, I have worked mostly with university and military trained engineers, who have a different outlook than uneducated rural people.

Whilst US technical people are different in many ways to us, they are neither superior, nor inferior, just different. I get the impression (maybe false??) that they have a higher proportion of religious people. Now I know that is taboo but IMO religion and science can peacefully co-exist. 

Anyway, I have never met anyone who has claimed to have had a close encounter with aliens but many think there is life on other planets but don't expect us to be invaded any time soon!

I like the joke explanations!

Following on from Craig's fantastic discovery above, scientists finally image the multiverse...???

stm50b8c67c1816920121130.jpg?raw=1

On 23/08/2018 at 21:19, Tweedledee said:

This poll was on the American population. 

I heard that another poll of Americans showed that 51% of them had been abducted by aliens at some time in their lives! ?

PSM_V10_D562_The_hindoo_earth.jpg?raw=1

Im reminded of a Stephen Fry anecdote, he was talking about a woman beleiver in the turtle concept and when asked "what does the turtle stand on?" her answer was "Why, its turtles all the way down"

Edited by philjay