• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

Image printing

Hi guys,

Do any of you Imagers have any experience in making large-ish posters/pictures of your hard earned?

Talking to a photographer or two about this, and they seem to recommend aiming for a DPI of 300 or thereabouts (in their terrestrial realm, i might add). Trouble is, my dslr is only 12mp, so by my calculations, I can only get 300dpi prints up to an equivalent 17" screen size!

Would printing at a more useful 150dpi yield poor images?

I bit late asking tbh, as I have just sent an order for an A2 print online!

Cheers,

Kev

Graham

I get the Canon guy at work to print up my images. 

They do all the company's stuff so I get it done for the cost of a beer. 

A2 size comes out pretty good. 

philjay

Ive used Peak Imaging (Sheffield) a couple of times, 1 lunar  1 dso. I had them printed on the board and they were Ok. They are on the net and you can do it all from their site. I use them mainly for processing my film and they are reliable and quick

Cheers guys.

I've gone with Vistaprint this time around, as I usually use them for family calendars and they had an offer on.

They said the image "looked great" for the  size I went for, but I guess we'll see when the postman delivers. I'll bear the other suggestion in mind in the future.

Kev

Craig

Aiming for a DPI of 300+ is a guide, but it's not a hard and fast rule. It depends on how the printed image will be viewed. Looking at an image that's close up versus an image that's far away, such as a poster, are two very different things.

Here's a good video on the subject: