• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Unistellar Evoscope

Alec

Yes, I've been watching the eVscope for a while along with the other similar project, the Vaonis Stellina refractor, due out early 2019...

https://vaonis.com/telescopes

Very interesting EEA projects that should be very nice, simple to set up and use, and provide excellent views, if you have a couple of grand to spare.

I calculate that on the eVscope the chip should provide a maximum TFOV of 0.47 degree, which tallies with the images on the website. I presume that the same "50x" image is then simply digitally zoomed to get the proposed 100x and 150x magnifications, which is likely to show more pixellation. I suspect that the simulated "eyepiece view" will have a rather narrow apparent FOV, and wonder why they didn't just put it on a bigger external screen, say 7" or bigger. That way you could use both eyes and several people could view at once. Looks like a Meade Lightswitch altaz mount to me. I wonder if they've used a field de-rotator on the chip or maybe that isn't necessary for the expected short integrations.

Looking at the camera used by the Vaonis Stellina, it will give a more detailed view and a much wider true field visible on your smart phone or tablet. Seems like the better product of the two.

• 1 month later...

November's Astronomy Now features both these scopes. It is just a pity that it doesn't have an actual review of them. Apart from an early prototype at a US star party, I don't think there is a review out there from anyone who has looked through one! 

My bad I forgot to post that last light the gadget show on channel 5 were doing a review on it. Just watched it some detail and price and a few images. 

2 hours ago, Alec said:

My bad I forgot to post that last light the gadget show on channel 5 were doing a review on it. Just watched it some detail and price and a few images. 

Interesting, must see if I can get that on catchup or a repeat. Did they actually actually have it under the stars and show how it performed?

18 minutes ago, Alec said:

Well there was a little info and it was on test in Wales at a dark site. 

Did it not blow anyone's socks off with the view then? ?

It was just a shot of the bubble nebula. To be honest I’m quite interested in this scope from a grab and go point of view. With a price tag of £1700, I’m waiting till it’s been out for at least 6 months having missed out on the kick starter commitment. 

• 1 month later...

Just had an email that the eVscope is available to buy for a special discounted price of £1369 up till 5th December. Delivery estimated for June 2019.

I'm rather tempted at this price, anyone else like the idea.

If I was to go for something like this I think I'd err towards the Stellina.

I don't see the point of the "eyepiece" on the eVscope. If it's not connected to the optical path it may as well be in a more easy to view position or just to a screen. They are all well out of my price range anyway. Just spend the money on points for the virtual telescopes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tuckstar said:

If I was to go for something like this I think I'd err towards the Stellina.

I don't see the point of the "eyepiece" on the eVscope. If it's not connected to the optical path it may as well be in a more easy to view position or just to a screen. They are all well out of my price range anyway. Just spend the money on points for the virtual telescopes.

I agree Andy, as per the 2nd and 3rd posts above.

Hopefully, since the eVscope is controlled by smartphone or tablet, it may also allow shared viewing on a screen, but I will try and find out for sure. The eVscope is nearly half the price of the Stellina and being a Newtonian, is much better protected from dew than the Stellina. The Stellina objective lens is recessed by less than about 20mm into the OTA, meaning that an improvised dew shield would be required.

So there are significant and varied pros and cons with these two scopes.

I think that the speed and convenience of idiotproof automated setup and the ability to show substantially more than conventional scopes in a small grab 'n go package is likely to catch on with both beginners and amateurs with limited spare time.

These two scopes could be the start of a radical and exciting new trend.

31 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

?big brother stellina released ? TARS.jpg?itok=qB4h2mP9

That'll be the waterproofed version, no dew control required. ?

• Haha 2

Last call for eVscope midnight December 5th pacific standard time. That'll be 9am Thursday 6th for the UK.

$750 discount at $1749. Approx £1375 for delivery June 2019.

Could be a bargain. I like the idea of this and seriously considering giving it a go.

It is a lot of money, but very convenient, grab 'n go, push the button and see a lot, and almost no wires! ?

Decisions??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tuckstar said:

I'm sure we will all be watching with bated breath, and if you do get one you'll have a queue.

Don't like the thought of buying stuff on a six month waiting list!

Would be more likely to push the button if it were on Amazon Prime. ?

Have a few other bits to buy for my more conventional AP kit yet! $$

Got just a few hours to decide on the eVscope.

Maybe Stellina will come up with a large last minute discount on their refractor alternative.

Should I put the money in an ISA instead?

Will this large whisky help me decide? 

Any suggestions welcome... ?

Hey Pete!

You could put it on your Santa list, and leave a printed letter lying about the house... ????

Edited by Smithysteve

Personally, I agree with Alec - I am a bit pessimistic about new technology... I would wait. ?

Edited by Smithysteve

We're past the deadline now and I didn't buy. Mainly because it is a lot of money to part with for 6 months with nothing to show for it. I liked the idea of the big discount, and would have been pleased to be one of the first to use it, though prepared to argue and insist on an upgrade if it didn't work properly.

But as you say I may have saved myself some hassle. ?

• Like 1