• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lightweight(?) Ascom Mount, less heavy than an HEQ5??

Derbyshire Dave

Morning guys,

I use a Vixen Sphinx mount , which I have got a lot out of over the three year or so I have had it. Issues I have with it though are that it isn't at all good over the meridian, and that it is not ascom controlled.

I now have a camera I can control through APT, which has been wonderful, and I even use Plate Solving as part of my setup procedure, which is great. I would like an Ascom mount that would allow me to do the whole business so I can get longer exposures across the meridian and across multiple sessions.

My real problem here is that I have a really bad back. I have tried moving an HEQ5, and I think it's probably too heavy for me. I'm probably going to have to go for a lighter mount, and I realise it doesn't help having a quite heavy payload with my 8" reflector.

Has anyone any suggestions for an ascom controlled lighter mount please. I would like it to be controlled by APT, but would stretch to using Qesquence Generator Pro if I have to.

Thanks

Have you thought of down sizing to a 130pds , or putting a handle on top of Ota that makes a big difference carting it about and putting on the mount 

Scope carry handles

Might be a good move to an SW ED80 Pro and an EQ5 Pro.  The mount would be up to the job but a lot lighter than the HEQ5 and a good imaging scope!

I have an NEQ6 mount but still like using my ED80, my MN190 is a heavy beast but worth lifting on to the mount when you see the results!

Cheers

Ron

18 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Have you thought of down sizing to a 130pds , or putting a handle on top of Ota that makes a big difference carting it about and putting on the mount 

Scope carry handles

Thanks David. I like the idea of the handles, really neat! I might have to change the scope I guess. Prime requirement is to get Ascom control as well, so will definitely need a new mount of some sort..

7 hours ago, Ron Clarke said:

Might be a good move to an SW ED80 Pro and an EQ5 Pro.  The mount would be up to the job but a lot lighter than the HEQ5 and a good imaging scope!

I have an NEQ6 mount but still like using my ED80, my MN190 is a heavy beast but worth lifting on to the mount when you see the results!

Cheers

Ron

Thanks Ron, appreciate the tip. One of the guys at my society also mentioned an iOptron CEM25P, which seemed a bit quirky in its clutch arrangements, but might be worth a look

I'll be having a good look around at Kelling to see if I can spot those, or somethimg similar. There might even be a 'bargain' on one of the stands?

The other opportunity I have is going to the IAS in October, so can seriously quiz the vendors there.

• Like 1

I have a tiny lightweight mount you can take a look at. Have not used it yet but anyone is welcome to have a go. Weighs less that eq5 etc by quite a lot

not sure of it’s carrying capacity though. Would not take large scope and don’t know how much an ed 80 weighs 

pitch 222 blue field

Edited by Sheila
  • Thanks 1

Definitely will check them out. Thank you both, I'm only about 100 feet away on Blue 205 ! Clear skies!

7 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Thanks Ron, appreciate the tip. One of the guys at my society also mentioned an iOptron CEM25P, which seemed a bit quirky in its clutch arrangements, but might be worth a look

I'll be having a good look around at Kelling to see if I can spot those, or somethimg similar. There might even be a 'bargain' on one of the stands?

The other opportunity I have is going to the IAS in October, so can seriously quiz the vendors there.

Dave, I have an iOptron CEM25P if you want to borrow it and have a play.

Bryan

Bryan,

That’s very good of you. Thank you. 

I’ll send you a PM