• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bright comet for December :)

Tweedledee

At mag 3 in mid December it will be quite bright hopefully!

The visualisation video is good too. ?

• 1 month later...

Just had a read up on this comet.

Although i don't think it will be spectacular, at a predicted Mag +3 during December

it will be perfectly placed in between the Hyades and Pleiades in Taurus.

I reckon even i should be able to track it down !!

I'm looking forward to it, as i missed the last one that was around (Giacobini-Zinner)

More below....

I am somewhat sceptical about comets, how many times have we been told it's going to be the comet of the century only to find it barely visible in a big Dob. Hale-Bopp is the best one so far in my lifetime. 

Giacobini-Zinner took some finding and wasn't really that impressive, it's getting more of a challenge finding them rather than looking up and going wow.

This one has potential to be a good one, so I'll make an effort to find it and hope it puts on a show. 

Thanks for sharing Rob.

Hale Bopp was the comet that reignited my passion for this hobby, before that it was just a general interest in astronomy. If this can outshine Orion I'll be shocked. I'm with pete on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently lurking low down (very low down) in the constellation Fornax

so Sky Safari + tells me. Thats possibly too low at present for us in the UK.

Also showing as Mag +5.2 so it has some brightening up to do.

• Like 2

Should be at its best mid December,

It’s movement in Azimuth will keep pace relative to the meridian, but it will move rapidly in Dec. About 2 deg. /night. Should be easy to find in bins...

fingers crossed!

Very soon there will hopefully be a few interesting widefield images showing it passing the Pleiades and Hyades. ?

Hopefully one of us can capture it......?? ?

I reckon if its between the Pleiades and Hyades, even from my light polluted skys, i'll be able to track it down with a 12" mirrror.

If the moon washes things out on the 16th (Perihelion) by the 21st it visits Auriga and passes near to 'The Kids'

and then on the 23rd its very close to Capella. There must be a photo opportunity there somewhere.......??

• Like 1

Half a magnitude brighter in 6 days !

Now up to +4.7 

Still 2 weeks to perihelion. Currently in Cetus and moving quickly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Half a magnitude brighter in 6 days !

Now up to +4.7 

Still 2 weeks to perihelion. Currently in Cetus and moving quickly.

Well, it's certainly looking good for perihelion even if it didn't get any brighter. Looks like it should outshine mag 4 Orion Nebula at this rate. Fingers crossed for a great view. ?