• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A better diagonal adapter solution

Doc

One thing that used to annoy me with my scope was the thumbscrews that tighten your diagonal into the focuser drawtube. I could never tighten them enough and the diagonal could be turned so I discarded the Esprit connectors and replaced them with a M86 adapter with a M68 internal thread. I then was able to screw a Baader Zeiss click lock adapter into the M86 adapter.

So now my APM AMICI diagonal is secured by the click lock adapter so simple and fantastic to use.

LPSCkB.jpg

wBMGFA.jpg

beyUga.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice Mick. ?

I have the clicklock adapter and like the fitting. Sometimes have to remove it because I have a couple of odd eyepieces that won't come to focus with the adapter. They just need to be several mm closer to the objective than the click lock allows. This is only a problem using my 2" Baader Amici prism which takes up more lightpath than a mirror diagonal.

Nice Mick.

You are right about the thumbscrews not being totally up to the job.

I once had a entire bino rig turn through 180º on night when i left it unattended for a few minutes.....

Luckily no disasters that night, but after that i changed to a collet type tightening ring.

Thats a good solution, assuming everything still focuses. I think the clicklock adds around 10-15mm to the lightpath...?

Well I haven't tested it yet but I did remove about 15mm worth of original adapter to replace it with the clicklock so should be OK.