• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

BAZ

Belper Wednesday night 12.9.18.

BAZ

I am considering going up to Belper tomorrow night if the predictions don't change, anyone interested?

Screenshot%202018-09-11%2017.28.31(3).pn

BAZ

I won't get too excited just yet, but if it still looks good after dinnertime then I'll contact Sharon. I need to try out my Hb filter on Orion.

BAZ

Don't forget your cold weather gear, it will be cold up there especially towards morning. I want to see M42 through my Hb filter and other objects it's apparently good for.

BAZ

All good with Sharon and I'll have basic tea mashing gear, bring your own cup and coffee if you drink it.

Daz Type-R

Good luck for tonight, I have other plans otherwise I would have joined you for a bit.

tuckstar

Have a good one guys. Up at 5:30 for work so I'll be passing on this one. @BAZ Let us know how you get on with your hb filter.

Ron Clarke

Have a good night up there, I'm set up in the garden!  👍

Derbyshire Dave

Dang! Missed this post. Set up at home now. If all goes well, and I can leave the rig, might joiny you later for a cuppa. Have fun!

BAZ

I enjoyed last night, it was good to get out and spend some time looking for stuff and just sitting in a chair with binoculars staring at stuff. Of course I knew that there would be something I would forget and it turned out to be the balance weights. Adapt and overcome though. Taped a cordless drill to the tube, it worked sort of.

Thanks to Bryan, Mick, Ibbo, Rusty Strings and Derbyshire Dave for your company.

2018-09-13%2001.37.54.jpg?raw=1

Doc

One of the best nights I've had for a long time. We had very good skies and observed until 2 in the morning. Saw loads of objects I'll make a list later but the highlight was  at 1.30 all searching beneath Auriga for comet 21P, we found it in binoculars as a tiny smudge between two stars and Baz comfirmed it in his dob.

Nice to see Dave and Rusty as they turned up for chat, and great to see Baz, Ibbo and Bryan again.

Doc

A list of what I saw at Belper last night.

All of these were found by star hopping.

Theta Aquila - 4.6/4.9 - 22.5" sep 

23 Aquila - 5.0/8.3 - 3.2" sep - Yellow/Blue

11 Aquila - 5.2/9.3 - 21" 

31 Aquila - 5.1/8.6 - Saw ABCD.

Ngc752

IC4756

Ngc6633

Ngc6934 GC in Delphinus

M2

M15

M75

M76

M101

M51

M27

M71

Neptune

Mars

Uranus

M57

M56

Ngc6543 Cats Eye Neb

M13

M92

Ngc6826 Blinking Eye Neb

M35

M37

Comet 21P

BAZ

21P was definitely the bag of the night, but also good to get the eye back in with the old star hopping.

I also had a bit of time experimenting with filters. On M27,the Dumbbell nebula, OIII pretty much made it disappear. UHC was good, but stacking the UHC with a Neodymium filter really brought out the outer shell detail. I tried for the NAN, NGC7000, but the light glow from down in the valley was quite bad. 

Steve really fetched out some nice surface details on Mars by stacking a blue and green filters.

Tweedledee
11 hours ago, BAZ said:

I enjoyed last night, it was good to get out and spend some time looking for stuff and just sitting in a chair with binoculars staring at stuff. Of course I knew that there would be something I would forget and it turned out to be the balance weights. Adapt and overcome though. Taped a cordless drill to the tube, it worked sort of.

Thanks to Bryan, Mick, Ibbo, Rusty Strings and Derbyshire Dave for your company.

2018-09-13%2001.37.54.jpg?raw=1

Great solution Martyn. 👍

You could mount that drill on a dovetail bar and fit a clamp to the scope. Save your tape. 😁