• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Power focuser.

RonC

This is the Moonlite in question..

IMG_3422.JPG.936e0fbdf875a61e2023a6b495b6d05a.JPGFocuser1.png.2b1763b23d59129f742a44785a4a884e.pngIMG_3429.JPG.aa7c4f6982b678248d46112898be50a1.JPG

Top is the photo I sent to Pavle, centre was his reply asking for measurements and the last is the 3mm spindle with the fine focus knob removed.

He was worried about whether the belt would work as there are no notches on the knob?

Moonlite use a stepper motor on the end of the focuser shaft which has a clutch inbuilt. (probably why it costs £280 !!)

IMG_3426.JPG.f55cb3d7cb7f889c03da864788b54a6a.JPG

Edited by Ron Clarke
Added image.

The belt should work fine running on the knurling especially on a focuser of that quality.

Or for belt and braces do as David says.

As it is a stepper motor I would run it on the large main focus knob.

No problem with fine adjustment as you should be able to single step the motor -- Normally 200 steps per revolution.

5 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

I run mine on fine focus on cheap skywatcher on 200pds 

I do as well on my GT81.

I only use it as I use a dc motor and I need the fine control.

Generally it is not a good idea because if the focus tube gets stuck for what ever reason be it jamming, getting frozen or the lock is on it could tear out the internal gearing on the focuser.

27 minutes ago, Graham said:

I do as well on my GT81.

I only use it as I use a dc motor and I need the fine control.

Generally it is not a good idea because if the focus tube gets stuck for what ever reason be it jamming, getting frozen or the lock is on it could tear out the internal gearing on the focuser.

I removed lock screw ?? 

1 hour ago, Ron Clarke said:

I have sent all the measurements to Pavle so I'll see what his answer is..

Good idea Ron. 

Let us know how you get on. 

• 2 months later...

Arrived today, holes are in the wrong position but i think it's a simple job to drill 2 new holes. I'll put some photo's up later..

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Holes drilled OK, need to get some bolts from Screwfix tomorrow. Tested it on the laptop all OK but it doesn't like going through the hub!!

Edited by Ron Clarke
  • Like 1

Holes drilled OK, need to get some bolts from Screwfix tomorrow. Tested it on the laptop all OK but it doesn't like going through the hub!!

Is it a powered hub Ron ? I run mine through a 12v powered hub , it’s a usb3 version though I’m on USB2 connection .

Yes it is a 12v powered hub, the CCD and guide cam work OK trough it but the Canon 1000d doesn't??

I have a long lead so it's not a problem..

I'll put some photo's up when I've got the bolts tomorrow..

Cheers

Ron

30 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

Yes it is a 12v powered hub, the CCD and guide cam work OK trough it but the Canon 1000d doesn't??

I have a long lead so it's not a problem..

I'll put some photo's up when I've got the bolts tomorrow..

Cheers

Ron

I had trouble with my canon 1000d Ron I changed the usb cable and the usb hub in the end worked fine after that .

Well it took a lot of messing about to fit it! I needed to drill 2 new holes to secure it and open up a 3rd for the focuser tension bolt..

Any way it's all together and awaiting a test session, I need another power lead first though!

large.IMG_3920motor1.jpg.0b031f77fdfaada60f718eeb29c43dc4.jpg

large.IMG_3912motor3.jpg.81c15afd92c4869bb7b2464c406b7ebc.jpg

Edited by Ron Clarke
  • Like 2

Well it took a lot of messing about to fit it! I needed to drill 2 new holes to secure it and open up a 3rd for the focuser tension bolt..

Any way it's all together and awaiting a test session, I need another power lead first though!

large.IMG_3920motor1.jpg.0b031f77fdfaada60f718eeb29c43dc4.jpg

large.IMG_3912motor3.jpg.81c15afd92c4869bb7b2464c406b7ebc.jpg

The newer version 1 looks nice and compact Ron ??