• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ursa Major

Alec

alec did you have it working as an  autofocuser or did you just use the bahtinov mask and focus with the in-out button

4 minutes ago, Alec said:

I used a autofocus routine. In Backyard EOS it would be pure manuel. 

apt can autofocus ,never got that far as mount went off for a service and belt mod 

That's very nice. ?

You have double star M40 in there and "La Superba" the deep red variable star just left of bottom centre.

Megrez, the middle and faintest of the seven stars, looks quite dim. I found some vague internet references saying that others think it is actually dimming and one stating it has dimmed since ancient records over 2000 years ago. I remember older astronomers in the 1970's saying it had dimmed during their lifetime in comparison to the other main stars. I checked in an old book of mine published in 1967 which listed it at mag 3.4 which is not much different to most recent references that list it as mag 3.3. 

Has anyone else thought this, or have any magnitude details from older books?

• Like 1

Nice image Alec ?

I'm interested in your thoughts on Affinity Photo. Are you using it on a MAC platform i take it ??

How does it perform from an astrophotography point of view ??

Pete : i have it listed as Magnitude +3.3 and i often find it visually quite difficult to even see

from home (Derby, light pollution central) That shows you how bad my local conditions are, or is it my rapidly deteriorating eyesight as well i wonder...!!!??? ?

I think its a lovely constellation : i always refer to it simply as 'The Saucepan'

And i never miss the opportunity to have a quick look at Alcor and Mizar, which to me,

is one of the nicest doubles in the sky.

23 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Nice image Alec ?

I'm interested in your thoughts on Affinity Photo. Are you using it on a MAC platform i take it ??

How does it perform from an astrophotography point of view ??

Pete : i have it listed as Magnitude +3.3 and i often find it visually quite difficult to even see

from home (Derby, light pollution central) That shows you how bad my local conditions are, or is it my rapidly deteriorating eyesight as well i wonder...!!!??? ?

I think its a lovely constellation : i always refer to it simply as 'The Saucepan'

And i never miss the opportunity to have a quick look at Alcor and Mizar, which to me,

is one of the nicest doubles in the sky.

I'm running it on windows 10. So far I'm finding it quite easy to use, searching on the internet finds a lot of similar functions as in photoshop, and all of the adobe plugins work with affinity as well. It has a stack facility which is quite good to use. If you dont want to fork out wads of cash on Photoshop its a good alternative.  

• Thanks 1

Nice Alec,

Am starting to think about an auto-focusser, so would be interested in which one you have, cost and how you interface to it. I think there are aout focussing routines in APT?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Nice Alec,

Am starting to think about an auto-focusser, so would be interested in which one you have, cost and how you interface to it. I think there are aout focussing routines in APT?

Thanks

Hi Dave

the focuser is from www.deepskydad.com and is 149 Euros including making a custom bracket to attach to your telescope. For this you will have to take some measurements. Pavle is great ive had quite a bit of correspondence with him. He has developed this to work with any software that will work with the ascom driver he has written. So APT works ive tried it. Can highly recommend it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All details are on his website you will need a power supply and mini usb cable, got mine from amazon for £12.00