• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sky at Night 1907 style

philjay

Found this on my travels thought it made interesting reading showing how our great great great grandparents heard about monthly events in the night sky. From the Daily Graphic Wednesday January 7th 1903graphic%20artical.jpg?raw=1

• Like 2

Very quaint using he/she instead of it. Nice read.

The light pollution must have been very minimal in 1903 but I can imagine a lot of smoke and soot to look through at times.

4 hours ago, BAZ said:

Who read that in either a Patrick Moore or Cholmondley Warner voice? ?

Lol, Just re-read part of it in Patrick m voice style - and twice the speed ??

9 hours ago, philjay said:

I found it in an old Astronomy book by R S Ball the Victorian equivalent to SPM so very apt.

I have "The Story of the Heavens" by RS Ball. It is a good old classic book. I knew he'd written a few books, but googling just now, I see he's done lots mainly on astronomy and several on mechnical engineering and other subjects.

Definitely the SPM of his era. ?

I don't know about great great ... grandparents but all of my GRANDPARENTS were born in Edwardian times. I also know that there are others here that are older than I am!

No matter what you write there is always someone willing to pick up. ?

I too am from the over 60s  side Phil but my parents were Great Great Grandparents before they passed on just a few years ago. So my expression holds