• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Open lecture by Astronomer Royal at Leicester Uni on 16th

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

OK, here's your starter for 10:

'From Big Bang to Biospheres' - 16/05/2012 18:00

A Haldane Society public lecture to be given by Professor Sir Martin Rees, Astronomer Royal & Former President of the Royal Society

On Wednesday 16 May 2012, Professor Sir Martin Rees, Astronomer Royal & Former President of the Royal Society, will give a lecture entitled 'From Big Bang to Biospheres' for the Haldane Society.

This free lecture is open to students, graduates and the general public. A Wine Reception will follow at 7.00 pm in the City Side Lounge on the first floor of the Charles Wilson Building

Taking place in Ken Edwards Lecture Theatre 1 at 6pm. Enquiries to: [email protected] or 0116 2522142

Apparently it is a non-bookable event - just turn up nice and early. I will try and get down.

This Lecture is thoroughly enjoyable and well worth attending. I saw it at Nottingham Uni in November last year when Damian (Damnuut) got me a ticket. Never realised that Sir Martin is so short and a bit stooped with age, but you will find his mind is as sharp as a razor, especially in the way he answers any questions at the end.

Guest Tweedledum

If you can go do so, you will sit there realising you know a lot of the material, but the way he presents it is mesmerising & outstanding. He was fresh off a plane from LA an was as sharp as a pin!

Very personable and a good time of q&a at the one Pete & I went to, as well as meeting Baz & Ibbo there too (good EMS turnout)!! (hope this one has a free glass of red after it as well!!)

Cheers

(ha just noticed the wine reception.....)

Edited by Tweedledum

I attended thanks to Ibbo, who obtained the tickets.

I also liked his dry sense of humour, which you will appreciate.

A very personable speaker, with obvious passion about the subject.

You will enjoy it.

Guest Steve

In case anyone is planning to head along in a bit...:

Dear Steve

Here’s the map link which should help: http://www2.le.ac.uk/maps/campus-map?searchterm=maps

The lecture starts at 6:00 so I would suggest you turn up about 20 minutes beforehand. Ken Edwards 1 seats 250 people so I am not anticipating too much trouble with numbers. I’m anticipating somewhere in the region of 200. You are also cordially invited to attend the Wine Reception afterwards.

Kind regards,

Vicky

Thanks Steve, was planning on coming along but have been off work sick for last couple of days. Dont want to spread my germs. Enjoy the lecture :)

Guest Steve

Ha Felix, same here re off sick - caught the Devon Lurgy. Always happens when you visit somewhere with different bugs.

I did go, (and managed not to sneeze or cough once), and it was a very interesting talk from the great man - a whizz through everything in 1 hour. As Damian suggested, there was nothing particularly new, but it was presented really well and I enjoyed it.

Didn't attend the wine reception. We are out of Winter now, I think, so don't need any anti-freeze!

I think I'd definitely try and get along to anything similar in the future - make up for my missed career as an astrophysicist....