• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mobile Browsing

Following today's update, the forum is now officially compatible with the new IPS Communities mobile app for iOS (sorry Android and Blackberry users, it's Apple only at the moment but do keep reading on) which allows easy browsing of the forums from a mobile device. This is the official mobile app for our forum software so compatiblity is guaranteed. The app costs £1.49 and can be purchased from the iTunes store here.

I have not tested this on the iPad yet but it's pretty good on the iPhone. Keep in mind this is a brand new app, you will encounter bugs but they are usually fixed pretty quickly when reported.

You can also use Tapatalk which is available on iOS, Android and Blackberry. On iTunes this costs £1.99, on the Android store it's £1.99 and on the Blackberry store it's $2.99USD. Tapatalk is cross platform compatible with other forum softwares as well which makes it a but more of a bargain, but it's not guaranteed to work with all of our forum features.

For those who don't want an app (or use a Windows mobile) you can use the mobile skin which is already installed on this very forum (see the Change Theme link at the bottom of the page).

Enjoy! :)

Hi Craig,

What is the advantage/difference using the IPS Communities Mobile app or the mobile skin?

I have been using this EMS forum in a browser on my iphone 4s for a while, and it is exactly the same as on my laptop. It runs fine, but am I missing something?

Cheers.

Me to I just open up google in my iphone 4s and use that browser, this seems to work fine.

The biggest advantage is in poor signal locations. By using an app you do not have to load any HTML which means it's nice and fast.

Some people also claim it's easier to use an app than the forum on a small screen, but it depends on your definition of small. ;)

I'm not endorsing these apps though, they certianly are not required. Just, perhaps, convenient. For me, Tapatalk is pure gold as I browse many forums and I have them all on Tapatalk.

I might give it a try then for £1.49. It sometimes can be a bit fiddly zooming in on a small screen, and as some of you already know I prefer wide field views :D

95% of the time I access the forum via tapatalk on iPhone 4S :) All good