• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Skywatcher's QC takes the biscuit.

Graham

As many of you will know I treated myself to a nice shiny new AZ EQ 6 Pro mount.

From the moment I took it out of the box at Kelling I have been having grief with it.

The warnings bells started to ring immediately as I found most of the bolts on the mount were loose. 

The Dec axis was so tight I could not even balance my scope.

The RA axis would jam up on goto slews.

The guiding is absolutely brilliant for 80% of the time and then it would jam free itself and jump.

Today I decided to strip the mount down to see what was going on.

There was a total omission of grease in the Dec axis.

The RA axis is where Skywatcher's quality control or what I should say total lack of quality control passed new heights or should I say lows.

Even when you consider the number of their mounts I have stripped down, serviced and repaired over the years this was a new one for me.

There sticking out jammed between the RA pinion wheel and the clutch plate was a lump of metal.

As the wheel rotated this lump would foul the inside of the casting causing the mount to lock up.

I have now fully serviced and rebuilt the mount and it is purring away like the well oiled machine it is supposed to be.

IMG_0010.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0009.JPG?raw=1

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Shocking Graham,  are you going to complain?

I have informed the suppliers who will be having a quiet word in the right ears.

Even though you shouldn't fix this yourself it's a good job you are capable of making the mount better then the so called skywatcher fitters can make it, many people wouldn't and would have to go through the rigmarole of sending it all back.

Seems to be Steve.

Had it slewing all over the sky without any incidents. 

Tracked the sun all afternoon without a lot of movement off center on the screen.

Very disappointing to find this lack of care on a new mount build Graham. Those probs would have really disheartened many customers...

Glad you have sorted it! It is clearly better than new now! ?

pity i could have taken it to RVO last week kill two birds with one stone ??? NOT

Edited by Bottletopburly

I think I might have just gracefully declined that offer after seeing what they have done to yours. ?

• Like 1