• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

CLS-CCD or CLS clip filter with Modded Canon 1000D?

gfletcher

Hi guys

I have recently acquired a modded 1000D camera body which has had the “IR mod” performed. Ie removal of the IR cut filter.

I wish to do some Astro imaging through both my SW 200p Newtonian and my Skywatcher ED80.

Which EOS clip filter is suitable?

Is one type better for refractors and the other better for Newtonian?

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to which is more suitable.

your remarks would be extremely useful before I lay out ant cash on purchasing one of them.

cheers

Hi Graham, I have a modded 1000d with a CLS (City Light Suppression) clip in filter and a 12nm Ha filter also clip in. Both work very well but in hindsight I should have saved for a 2" Ha filter.

I would use it in the Flattener/reducer but also could use it with my CCD camera!!

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke

So are you saying that I could get away with the CLS clip in filtering my modded 1000D ?

Hope so as it is quite a lot cheaper than the CLS-CCD filter

With a modded camera you will only need the standard CLS version, the CCD version has IR cut built in too to use with either a CCD camera (non clip version) or a full spectrum modded DSLR, when you have the normal Astro mod you have just one filter removed to improve the Ha response, the second one is left in the camera as it gives excellent IR cut, (which you need) a full spectrum mod is to remove both then you would need the CCD version.

hope that helps... ?