• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bino Scope Project

philjay

What a brilliant project Phil. I'm very envious. They are going to be fantastic to look through. ?

Thanks Pete, Martyn. I have missed scope projects so this is a good one to get back into the swing of things with. Been enjoying messing on the lathe the past few days.

I havent looked through Peter Drews rig but knowing the ED80 as great performers singly and Peter saying that they surpassed his expectations plus he can get 200x with them (conditions permitting), I went for it.

I will no doubt be sweating when I cut the tubes down by 40-50mm ish (yet to do the sums), I always sweat when doing that, and I must have cut down more than a dozen scopes in my time but it still gets me ?

Not decided on collimation of the OTAs, whether to keep the tube rings or do away with them altogether like Peter Drew. Some thought and testing yet on that. Whatever I choose I am keeping it so I can take one tube off for imaging when I get back into it.

However I could just stick the guide scope in one tube and the imaging camera in the other oooooh thats a thought ?

• Like 2

It's a very interesting project Phil, I'm looking forward to the next chapter. What I have learnt from building my mounts is plan, plan and plan again, take your time and get it right first time. 

Sounds like a great project. 

If you need any special bits cut on the water jet just let me know and I'll sort it for you. 

Following this thread with interest Phil. Its looking good so far !  ?

I'll be interested in seeing how this design compares to my

conventional binoviewer setup with single 140mm refractor / 300mm Newtonian.

A little bit done today but not much

IPD Prisms sorting some more detail. Made some 2 to 1.25" adapters to fit in the draw tubes that are matched and hold the prisms snug. Ive ran out of M4 long stainless screws so the locking screws will be done later. These prisms need to be snug with no slop otherwise the rig will not stand a chance of being collimated, so all slop is being taken out as much as I dare.

ipd.jpg?raw=1

An easy job this, swap one dual speed nob to the other side. I will remove the inner nobs and fit blanks to tidy them up and reduce tube clearance

focusers.jpg?raw=1

What I have noticed is the new scope black sparkly paint isnt as sparkly as my original 3 year old scope, still one cant have everything I spose.

Edited by philjay
  • Like 3

Because there are so many adjustments to get the IPD/eyepiece levels I am making a jig like this one from EZM.

Simply adjust the jig to your IPD then adjust the prisms so the jig fits and lock all screws and everything is set in one easy action.

settingjig.jpg?raw=1

These are my bits so far, not as pretty but they are functional.

jig1.jpg?raw=1

Edited by philjay
  • Like 3

IT WORKS !!!!!!! ??

Spent an hour or so today on doing a few bits but mainly I wanted to set the OTAs up as a mock up so I can get an idea of how the mounting of the tubes and collimation is going to work plus I wanted to see if I could get bino vision with the tubes just set on a table (mainly to prove it works before I go much further). AND I am pleased to say it works.

I set the tubes side by side on the table in the garage pointing out the back door and focussed each on a tree over the way then fiddled to get the IPD whilst looking through the eyepieces and, snap, both images came together and gave 3D binocular vision. Collimation was dead rough but it proves the theory.

Here's the mock up of roughly what it will look like, this is with the 90degree prisms in as it will be eventually for astro. Note tubes will be approx 50mm shorter than shown.

mockup2.jpg?raw=1

This is testing for binovision on the trees over the back garden, no 90 degree prisms because focus cannot be achieved with 90 viewing until I chop some of the tubes

theorytest.jpg?raw=1

I think Ive sussed the collimation and mounting arrangement, I am keeping the tubes in the rings and the vixen DT bars will be part of the mounting/collimation sp I am keeping it simple as that makes for a more rigid structure to avoid collimation shift.

The tubes will only be cut down at the end when the mounting/collimation arrangement is done so I can test it properly and iron any foibles out with as few prisms in the optical path as possible.

I also knocked up a few clamp screws on the lathe.

Edited by philjay
  • Like 3

On my extended Giro 11 plus extension all altaz atop the Berlbach Mick. This arrangement is sturdy (I used to put a C11 on it ? )

They will be sitting on a big L bracket I reckon with the tubes on the horizontal arm and the main dovetail bar on the vertical arm.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more done over the past 2 days.

The L bracket is now almost there, the basic design has changed a couple of times in order to keep the weight down. My first draft was to keep the dovetail bars and tube rings on both scopes and use them as part of the bracket/collimation mech but this was just too heavy, my second draft still needed some weight taking off so here is the 3rd draft in the rough. There is still a lot of tidying up to do but the general principle is there. The close up shows the 2 yolks (old preformed DT bar) which the cut down tubes will sit on. These will be adjustable for collimation, the inner one for height and the outer for left right. I think once I have proved or disproved this design I may make another more elegant bracket but for the moment this will do. I have thoughts of the bracket being a box design with spring loaded collimation adjusters, we shall see. 

bracket%201.jpg?raw=1

Bracket with Giro, homebrew extension and Berlebach.

bracket2.jpg?raw=1

Also sorted the IPD prisms and focusers. A couple of lock screws to sort and its all there now. This will give astronomical oriented views as the final diagonals are just mirrored. Once its tested I may put some decent diagonals on it instead of the generics shown.

IPD.jpg?raw=1

Edited by philjay

Looking good Phil.

The plates look rather thin, I know you are worried about weight but you might induce flex into the mix.

They are 10mm Mick, I deliberated over this for some time and 12mm would be sturdier but heavier. The 5mm webs will be redesigned to extend further as a web when Ive finished, they were made when I did the mk1 idea so dont extend under the tubes enough now.

Yeah, due to the angle of the bracket in the photo the horizontal does look thin, but its the same as the vertical which looks thicker. If this works OK I may box in thus strenghening more.

Great work!

Following this fascinating innovative project with great interest Phil - looking forward to more on same!?

Some more done over the past couple of days.

Collimation adjusters sorted and in place. I have cribbed the cone adjustment idea for vertical adjustment of one tube saddle and the other tube saddle swivels for horizontal alignment. Simple and hopefully effective. I know at least one manufacturer uses this method so there must be something in it. I'm trying to keep everything bijou and compact in order to keep weight down and hopefully Ive got it right.

collim%20rear.jpg?raw=1

collim%20top.jpg?raw=1

Marking for cutting the tubes, the nerve wracking bit, have I got my sums right? oooer?

tube%20ready.jpg?raw=1

• Like 2