• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Obsy Design Question

catman161

Hi All, 

I’m thinking of converting my roll off shed design to a more permanent, yet still small obsy

Currently roll off shed as as below which is ok but would like to convert it to a small permanent shed with gold down walls and preferably a style of roof that is either fold down to the side or roll back garage door style but where the door, or roof goes down behind the back wall of the structure. 

I don’t have the space for a roll off roof behind the shed as I have an outbuilding directly behind which can be seen in the pictures. 

Any help on how to engineer such a roof would be gratefully received. 

Thanks in advance 

Felix 

https://flic.kr/p/rBzG7X

https://flic.kr/p/NaHsmv

I will have a look at this when I get home from work. 

Company security won't let me open your pics.

Good to see you online again Felix, and glad you're getting back into it. ?

Like the pics, including the fish. You could make a nice fold off roof man cave/obsy in the space you have on that decking. ?

Hey Felix, good to see you again.

Ask Pete Shah, he had an amazing obsy with motorised roof and wall as I seem to remember.

Good to see you on here again Felix, I'm sure you'll get some ideas on here! ?

Cheers

Ron

58 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Hey Felix, good to see you again.

Ask Pete Shah, he had an amazing obsy with motorised roof and wall as I seem to remember.

This is what you were referring to Martyn.

Peter Shah has done a magnificent job on this...

https://youtu.be/0s2Z2t9kQgk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BAZ said:

That's the one Pete.....Roboshed! 

It is very impressive.

I reckon Peter should redo that video dubbing in the Thunderbirds theme tune and maybe a bit of dry ice puthering out as it opens up at night glowing with some red lighting. ?

The birdsong is still nice though, and it does show how quiet it is in operation.

Hi guys ? 

thanks for all the responses. 

On 11/10/2018 at 15:35, Graham said:

Can you give me some dimensions.

How big do you want the obs to be, size of the decking ect

Graham as for dimensions I will have to measure up. I was planning on utilising the entire deck this time around. The pier and mourned scipe would sty where they are wit the 4 walls built around it. 

In my head I am thinking I would want two of the walls to fold down to allow more sky to be viewable. The roof would need to be an innovative design that could lift up and hen back and fold back behind the back wall, and when fully reckoned be hugging/resting against the back wall. I found a thread on SGL that showed a brilliant way a guy designed using a convex metal roof and he came up with a counterbalance system that had the roof slide downtown he side of one wall of the observatory 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/68379-rotating-roof-obsy-pics/

i like this idea idea but I need the walls to be able to fold down so feel like it kid if excludes this design as the arms supporting the roof would need to be attached to the wall and therefore it wouldn’t be foldable. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 15:35, Graham said:

Can you give me some dimensions.

How big do you want the obs to be, size of the decking ect

Hey Graham, sorry this took so long. So much in at present with uni, work, family etc. 

So the decking dimensions are:

Length: 239cm

Width: 229cm 

I want the height of the walls to be tapered front to back so there is a slight slant in roof to allow for water to run off. At tallest point I’d like the roof height to be 190cm tapering down to 175cm at the rear. 

As mentioned I need two of the walls to be able to fold down to allow for lower altitude viewing - namely planets as they are still the thing I enjoy imaging the most. 

Am gonna go and see if I can learn how to use google sketch up to try and set something g visual to explain what I am trying to do better than words! ? 

Well it seems google sketch has beaten me already! Can’t even make basic shapes ? 

Ok Felix.

Here is a rough drawing.

Where do you want the door.

Which sides do you want to fold down.

How much room is there between the walls of the shed and any obstacles near it. 

Fences, trees ect 

Felix's%20Shed.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Graham

On a positive note I think the design in the SGL thread could work for me. Obviously not gonna go down the fibreglass roof route as just too pricey. May try to make some thing out of marine grade ply or own and rubberise the roof for waterproofing. 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/68379-rotating-roof-obsy-pics/

16 minutes ago, Graham said:

Ok Felix.

Here a rough drawing.

Where do you want the door.

Which sides do you want to fold down.

Felix's%20Shed.jpg?raw=1

Wow! That was sooo fast - thanks Graham! So the sides with the blue ticks are the sides that need to fold done at approx midpoint in high tin each. 

Photo%2003-11-2018,%2013%2006%2011.jpg?r

Edited by catman161
Spell

Sorry Graham in terms of a doori have a feeling it is too smal to have one and have the correct walls fold down so I would probably have swing roof over down the side hodden from view (using similar counter-weighted arm style as in SGL post) then fold the wall down that’s facing us in your drawing and clamber in. Either that or have a tiny narrow door perhaps on that wall at the far left? 

Felix

When you post the link in the " add image from URL " change the   dl=0   bit to   raw=1 

So it will look like this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swtcch67im8nt4a/Felix's Shed.jpg?raw=1

This will force the forum to display the image.

I have found that jpeg is the only form that will post from dropbox.

Yup thats better.

Is there anything around the shed that could foul any moving parts

Edited by Graham

Yes behind the back wall there is a garage. That’s why the roof needs to slide away from wall facing us in the above picture. Where the roof would resultantky be laying when full skid off there is also a garden fence. 

How far is the fence and garage away from the base/shed.

Need to know how much room I have to play with.

10 minutes ago, Graham said:

How far is the fence and garage away from the base/shed.

Need to know how much room I have to play with.

Perhaps 2 inches on both sides so would have to reduce measurements of base above accordingly if you wanted to slide the roof behind instead of to the side. That’s why a convex, fibreglass roof would not be a great fit for my situation and a flat, lower profile roof would be better. If it slid either to the side (toward fence) or to the back (toward garage building) it would be fine as long as the pint at which the arm attached is low enough to allow both the marked walls to fold down. If a small door could be out in place somewhere that would be ideal but not a deal breaker.