• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
catman161

Obsy Design Question

catman161

Hi All, 

I’m thinking of converting my roll off shed design to a more permanent, yet still small obsy

Currently roll off shed as as below which is ok but would like to convert it to a small permanent shed with gold down walls and preferably a style of roof that is either fold down to the side or roll back garage door style but where the door, or roof goes down behind the back wall of the structure. 

I don’t have the space for a roll off roof behind the shed as I have an outbuilding directly behind which can be seen in the pictures. 

Any help on how to engineer such a roof would be gratefully received. 

Thanks in advance 

Felix 

https://flic.kr/p/rBzG7X

https://flic.kr/p/NaHsmv

Tweedledee

Good to see you online again Felix, and glad you're getting back into it. 👍

Like the pics, including the fish. You could make a nice fold off roof man cave/obsy in the space you have on that decking. 🙂

BAZ

Hey Felix, good to see you again.

Ask Pete Shah, he had an amazing obsy with motorised roof and wall as I seem to remember.

Ron Clarke

Good to see you on here again Felix, I'm sure you'll get some ideas on here! 👍

Cheers

Ron

Tweedledee
58 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Hey Felix, good to see you again.

Ask Pete Shah, he had an amazing obsy with motorised roof and wall as I seem to remember.

This is what you were referring to Martyn.

Peter Shah has done a magnificent job on this...

https://youtu.be/0s2Z2t9kQgk

Tweedledee
3 hours ago, BAZ said:

That's the one Pete.....Roboshed! 

It is very impressive.

I reckon Peter should redo that video dubbing in the Thunderbirds theme tune and maybe a bit of dry ice puthering out as it opens up at night glowing with some red lighting. 😊

The birdsong is still nice though, and it does show how quiet it is in operation.

catman161

Hi guys 🙂 

thanks for all the responses. 

On 11/10/2018 at 15:35, Graham said:

Can you give me some dimensions.

How big do you want the obs to be, size of the decking ect

Graham as for dimensions I will have to measure up. I was planning on utilising the entire deck this time around. The pier and mourned scipe would sty where they are wit the 4 walls built around it. 

In my head I am thinking I would want two of the walls to fold down to allow more sky to be viewable. The roof would need to be an innovative design that could lift up and hen back and fold back behind the back wall, and when fully reckoned be hugging/resting against the back wall. I found a thread on SGL that showed a brilliant way a guy designed using a convex metal roof and he came up with a counterbalance system that had the roof slide downtown he side of one wall of the observatory 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/68379-rotating-roof-obsy-pics/

i like this idea idea but I need the walls to be able to fold down so feel like it kid if excludes this design as the arms supporting the roof would need to be attached to the wall and therefore it wouldn’t be foldable.