• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New bits with electric wires!

Tweedledee

Sorry i missed you Pete.

I was there a bit later this year.

It felt a bit subdued there this year i thought.

Not so many visitors, and fewer vendors. The bad weather probably didn't help.

I brought a few bits and pieces......

17 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Sorry i missed you Pete.

I was there a bit later this year.

It felt a bit subdued there this year i thought.

Not so many visitors, and fewer vendors. The bad weather probably didn't help.

I brought a few bits and pieces......

It would have been good to have our annual coffee and chat Rob. ?

I was Billy no mates, on my own but did have a great time chatting to various people there. Perhaps more will be there today as most will be off work. I enjoyed not queuing in the cafe though and easily being able to get a chat with vendors. Next time I will probably do the Saturday to avoid the horrendous drive home at rush hour on a Friday.

What did you get this year Rob? If I remember correctly you spent a small fortune last year, didn't you get the Panther mount then?

Yes, it was last year when i got the 'Panther'

I'm just saving up now for my 'retirement scope' but i didn't buy it yesterday.

I had a nice chat with John Timmins from 'Peak 2 Valley' yesterday, though he couldn't

persuade me to buy one of his CFF refractors...

I purchased a couple filters from Adam at Rother Valley, a new battery from Widescreen

and after a chat with Phillipo (365) brought a control unit to try with DSLR imaging.

I only did a couple of talks yesterday, but they were both good.

• Like 3

I had a great day too yesterday at the astro candy store! Like you Pete, I also had a chat with physicist and author Nicholas Mee and already having his book Gravity, (which I can thoroughly recommend,) bought his second book on the Higgs field, which I have started already! I had several chats with vendors and others which were very interesting. 

Telescope house, The Webb society and a few other regular vendors were not present this time and were missed by me. I hope the IAS is not going the way of the high street stores! 

I went to two lectures, Peter Jenkins on astro photography processing and the inimitable Allen Chapman, both we’re very good. I have known Peter Jenkins for several years and was already familiar with his processing skills. He did a great job!

Allen Chapman did not pause for breath during his lecture, did not refer to notes or anything and just reeled it all off perfectly! What a speaker! I thoroughly enjoyed my day out!

• Like 2

There really is no-won quite like Allan Chapman.

I was very disappointed to miss his talk yesterday. I did see him back in February though.

Steve  : i had a nice chat with some of your colleagues on Friday.

I'll have to pay a visit up there sometime ?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I was very disappointed to miss his talk yesterday. I did see him back in February though.

Hi Rob, you would be made very welcome! we have one or two members who travel from Derby to MSAS, if you need any further details or fancy a visit just pm me and we can have a chat etc. ?

19 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Following on from what Steve said, it is a wonderful welcoming and inspirational place up at Sherwood Obsy. I'm submitting my membership application and can thoroughly recommend it Rob. You'd love it. ?

• Like 1

Just upgraded my order with RVO.

I changed the EQM 35 to an AZEQ5 GT Synscan.

It should be a better and beefier mount. I can use it with goto in alt az or eq modes and get two scopes on it in alt az. I like to have the convenience of using an alt az mount...

Skywatcher_AZ_EQ5_PRO_mount_with_tripod_

• Like 2

Thankyou Steve and Pete.

I am looking for a new Astronomical society having recently become a bit disillusioned with DDAS (my membership lapsed 18 months ago)

I've just had a look at the MSAS website.

I see you have an 'Open evening' this Saturday.

Will you be there ? I will try and get if work does not interfere.,,

44 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Just upgraded my order with RVO.

I changed the EQM 35 to an AZEQ5 GT Synscan.

It should be a better and beefier mount. I can use it with goto in alt az or eq modes and get two scopes on it in alt az. I like to have the convenience of using an alt az mount...

Skywatcher_AZ_EQ5_PRO_mount_with_tripod_

Much better idea.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Thankyou Steve and Pete.

I am looking for a new Astronomical society having recently become a bit disillusioned with DDAS (my membership lapsed 18 months ago)

I've just had a look at the MSAS website.

I see you have an 'Open evening' this Saturday.

Will you be there ? I will try and get if work does not interfere.,,

Thanks Pete!

Glad you are thinking about coming up to see us Rob.

if you decide to pop up Saturday, please let me know what time you are coming and I will try and be there at the same time. ? cheers!