• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie question

Tweedledee

Here we go, first of the newbie imager questions. ?

If I bin pixels 2x2, am I correct in thinking that will build up the image 4 times as fast but with one quarter of the resolution?

Theres lots of useful info on the 'Atik' YouTube channel Pete.

I'm no imager, but does binning depend on how big your pixels are in relation to your scopes focal length ?

Also Pete, i dont think you can ‘bin’ pixels with a OSC camera, which has the Beyer matrix to produce a colour image. 

Someone please correct me if i’m wrong.....

Thanks Rob. interesting video, I think I spoke with that guy at the Atik stand. 

Yes, I think that's correct and it makes sense now that binning would only work with mono, not one shot colour. ?

Hope to get my camera and AZEQ5 tomorrow or Thursday. ?

Are you off to the dark side then Pete? If so, then good luck and I'll look forward to following your progress. 

2 hours ago, BAZ said:

Are you off to the dark side then Pete? If so, then good luck and I'll look forward to following your progress. 

Martyn, I'm just keeping my options open and attempting to branch out a bit to see how I can enhance my astronomical aspirations. ?

I'm not selling any eyepieces, well maybe several of my least used ones, I do have 46 in my collection! ?

And the big dob project is still slowly progressing.

Initially I want to try some EAA live view stuff with my new kit, to see what more I can see of the faint fuzzies I like viewing. But will also experiment with some proper imaging, probably star clusters first. I just can't see me spending hours stretching and teasing the extremities of 15th magnitude nebulosity out of the ether. ?

I'm eager to see what I can manage to do with a few extra wires dangling about. Don't expect much because I really don't have a clue. ?

On 18/10/2018 at 08:29, Tweedledee said:

I'm eager to see what I can manage to do with a few extra wires dangling about. Don't expect much because I really don't have a clue. ?

Join the club Pete 

Its all smoke and mirrors ? ? ?

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Join the club Pete 

Its all smoke and mirrors ? ? ?

Haha, I'm struggling to see the mirrors through all the smoke. ?