• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Skywatcher EQ5 Pro GOTO problem

gfletcher

Hi guys

Now that I have sorted the polar alignment problem (got Sharpcap Pro to work after I set the correct altitude on the mount) - see my thread Sharpcap Pro problems.

I went through the setup procedure on the synscan handset, entered all the relevant info, did a 2 star alignment. The handset said “Alignment Sucessful”. Entered M45 into the handset and went straight to it. Then entered Mizar, the mount slewed but was quite a way off the target. Tried Altair and the same problem.

It seems to slew in the right direction but is quite a distance off the target.

Any ideas what may be the problem?

Graham

Not sure if it will help but try a 3 star alignment.

Having said that I used sharpcap PA with the C11 at Belper the other week did a 1 star and it put everything in FOV till the battery ran out of steam.

As Steve said, try a 3 star alignment. I don't use the handset anymore and now use the SW WiFi dongle and phone. Much more accurate, on a 2 star align the 2nd star is almost always in the centre of the FOV!!

Ron

If I were to persevere with the 2 star alignment, is it best to choose 2 stars on different sides of the meridian ?

Graham it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you are imaging and your PA is spot on then you do not need to do any star alignment at all.

Choose a star close to where your target is and align on that.

Any miss alignment will be negligible in the short hop to you target.

If you are doing visual and will be sky hopping then really you need to do a 3 star alignment spread out across the meridian and the sky.

This is where the likes of EQMOD and software like CDC has a massive advantage over the handset alone.

Edited by Graham

handset is out of the way for one thing and you can use CDC and Stellarium etc to run your scope

I think ther could be cheaper ones try Hitech Astro

1 hour ago, gfletcher said:

So for £34 I could use eqmod ?

What advantage is it giving me ?

Flo sell a eqdirect cable lynx is the make , definitely better made than the hitec Astro one ,i originally had a hitec Astro one for my Eq6 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

So if I were to use eqmod would it give me better accuracy after the star alignment stage?

How would you control things using cdc or Stellarium.

sorry for all the questions guys but I am completely ignorant of eqmod and what it will do.

2 hours ago, gfletcher said:

So if I were to use eqmod would it give me better accuracy after the star alignment stage?

How would you control things using cdc or Stellarium.

sorry for all the questions guys but I am completely ignorant of eqmod and what it will do.

Basically Eqmod communicates to your mount , so after you have PA Mount you start CARTE DU CIEL connect to mount via cdc click on a target, centre in eyepiece or camera and sync that’s it you can use stellarium via stellarium scope but found it to be confusing cdc simpler  ?

Edited by Bottletopburly
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ibbo said:

handset is out of the way for one thing and you can use CDC and Stellarium etc to run your scope

I think ther could be cheaper ones try Hitech Astro

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

Basically Eqmod communicates to your mount , so after you have PA Mount you start CARTE DU CIEL connect to mount via cdc click on a target, centre in eyepiece or camera and sync that’s it you can use stellarium via stellarium scope but found it to be confusing cdc simpler  ?

I'm learning here too. Very interesting stuff, thanks for that info. ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

Just to sidetrack slightly, and please forgive my ignorance.

When using the SW Synscan wifi adapter, will Eqmod communicate and allow Stellarium/CDC to control an AZEQ5 GT mount in both EQ and Alt Az modes?

Or maybe I'd need to phone a dealer to clarify.

accuracy is down to PA to start with, star alignment model with EQMOD you can add many more points across the sky so becomes more accurate.

As you go on you can do more with EQMOD there is a you tube channel with all sorts of stuff and in depth run throughs.

6 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Just to sidetrack slightly, and please forgive my ignorance.

When using the SW Synscan wifi adapter, will Eqmod communicate and allow Stellarium/CDC to control an AZEQ5 GT mount in both EQ and Alt Az modes?

Or maybe I'd need to phone a dealer to clarify.

Seems you can https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/305250-skywatcher-wifi-adapter-and-stellarium/

I have ordered one of the Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR USB Adapters from FLO.

what software and drivers do I have to download to be able to use EQMOD.

Links to these would be appreciated.

thanks

Graham

• Like 1

Graham 

Go to the eqmod Web site.

All the information and downloads are on there.,

Just type eqmod into Google. 

You will see it listed.

Source forge. Net 

Edited by Graham

Okay I have downloaded “ASCOM Platform” and “EQASCOM” . Is that all I need to download?

42 minutes ago, gfletcher said:

Okay I have downloaded “ASCOM Platform” and “EQASCOM” . Is that all I need to download?

Yes graham 

If you follow the guide on the eqmod site they will lead you step by step from what to download and in what order.

Once downloads are done continue to follow the guide and it will walk you through setting eqmod up.

How to use software such as cdc.

You won't get any better advice as Chris Hilto wrote eqmod. 

Thanks guys. So there is no EQMOD software to download other than the 2 items of software I have downloaded?

I saw somewhere where it mentioned you use of a games console handset. Do I have to get one of those?

You don't have to but it makes life a whole lot easier. 

You can control your mount standing beside it rather than going back and forth to your computer. 

Makes finding things using the finder scope a breeze.