• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS 5 star party - Disscusion Thread.

Daz Type-R

On 09/10/2019 at 21:26, Bino-viewer said:

Guys.......recommendations please.

While i was at Kelling i noticed some of you had what i assumed was a 'changing tent' ? Quite fancy, some of them

Telephone box sort of shaped (not as tall) and held in place with tent pegs, ropes etc.

Are these used to keep scopes protected outside ?

They would be ideal for Dobsonians.

The important bit : are they robust enough in the wind ? (Obviously not in a gale etc)

If they were indeed there to protect your telescopes, can you recommend me one ?

I'm happy to pay a premium if its good quality and will do the job.

I must keep my scope outside as its too big to stay in the van, and i'm sharing this time.

I have one of those scope coats, but its not terribly well thought out.

Thanks in advance.

sorry away at the moment only just seen message#

I use a Kampa LooLoo tent they're okay as only cost about £30 if weather bad wind etc they last about a season before the fibre glass poles split.

There are better models out there bigger etc but your be looking at approx £80 to £100 know a friend of mine who goes to kelling as one and hes had it a few years

I always cover with scope cover too but remove in day (weather dependant) to allow the scope electronics etc to breath

• Thanks 1

Basically they are loo tents, many manufacturers make them, some call them utility tents.

I had a Kyham Utility tent for years, this was the best 80 quid I spent on astro camping stuff, it was the old style with clicklock outer frame,. Mine eventually bit the dust last year. If you see one of those, ( no longer made) I recommend them highly

I have used one of the standard cheap-o loo tents in the past, if it rains and there is a light wind, they are perfect but if the wind gets up, you will probably loose it.  I used it at EMS 4 and have used it in the past at Kelling, but just tend to take the OTA off now and store it in the tent / van and leave the base and table under my GreenWitch scope cover, that did fantastically in all the wind and rain at this years Kelling.

Thankyou all for your responses.

If i do indeed lose the said tent, i can live with that ; just as long as it doesn't take the Dob with it ! 

If we do get a gale, a bad one, i can always put the tube across the fronts seats of the van.

The van has an exterior ladder (for roof access) and with a bit of luck i can tether a changing tent to it 

for a bit more protection if the weather takes a turn for the worst.

On 04/10/2019 at 16:37, BAZ said:

I use one of there and just on the 750w setting, it's plenty. I have found a place where it's comfortable and put a mark with a marker pen on the thermostat, so that I can just set it and know it's just bob on. Cheap, doesn't make a noise save the click of the stat and it doesn't give off any light.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00939/2kw-convector-heater/dp/HG01003?mckv=scAePsoDO_dc|pcrid|224680501655|kword||match||plid||slid||product|HG01003|pgrid|48556618033|ptaid|pla-821858593100|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=CjwKCAjw29vsBRAuEiwA9s-0B9X8sP-d5fTR3AcEPFN7Ej8YW_brojyAvE-j2lJRl97Xx2nG58yY-BoCcZEQAvD_BwE

@BAZ, so even at 750W that should be fine for the 10AMP EHU at the site?

I hope not, I thought all EHU sockets are the same, only the AMPS per site differ, I thought Kelling was 16 AMPS at the hook up point but somebody said it’s 12, I do know that st EMS 5 it’s 10 AMP, with that in mind I didn’t want to get a heater that tripped the socket every time I turned it on, never stopped at a 10 AMP EHU site before. 

The plugs and sockets are the same.

Calculations say stuff wiil be fine but when they cut in and out it could trip out at the breaker.

1K kettle purchased for daytime use as the one we have used for a good while tripped out at Kelling.

Nighttime use will be gas only for a brew up and hot water heater off as I don't want to trip the scope out, or more likely beer only.

They should be supplied via a blue 16amp commando plug. As Daz correctly says, it's the amount of power available through them that differs. This might be down to the total amount of power the site gets and it gets shared out afterwards. It's also down to stuff like cable size as well.

But 10 amps will give you about 2kw of usable power. So don't take a 3kw kettle unless you like walking! 😄

Thanks, sorry for the confusuion. It wasn't the socket / connection but rather the amperage i was concerned with.

I'll probably leave my kettle behind, and just boil water on the gas hob.

The electric heating in the van is 500-2000w. If we keep it to 500-1000w (like we did at Kelling) actually 500w mostly at night, we should be ok.

• Like 2

On 16/10/2019 at 16:38, Bino-viewer said:

Thanks, sorry for the confusuion. It wasn't the socket / connection but rather the amperage i was concerned with.

I'll probably leave my kettle behind, and just boil water on the gas hob.

The electric heating in the van is 500-2000w. If we keep it to 500-1000w (like we did at Kelling) actually 500w mostly at night, we should be ok.

Hi Rob, do you want me to bring my whistle kettle for you to borrow? I use my electric one while I've got a hook up.

• Like 1

Its ok Andy : many thanks for the offer, but we have a 'whistle kettle' that comes with the kitchen set in the van

We can boil water in that : its just a bit slow, but no problem really.

Not long now people, I am hoping to leave around 9:00 / 9:30 am tomorrow, Google maps says about 4 hrs barring any issues.

Just checked the campsites website and they say you have to check in at the farmhouse prior to pitching, I do not think we have mentioned that before.

If they are out then it says they will try to leave pitching instructions but failing that, use the pitch guide on this forum, as I believe we are the only ones on site anyway.

Enjoy yourself folks, hope you have some good skies. Wished I could be there but things moving a bit now on house move demanding my attention.

Clear skies looking doubtful. I’m just hoping for a window of no rain to get the tent pitched. 🤞

The weather looks abysmal for want of a better word 🙁

I can't see us doing much in the way of astronomy or imaging ?

Unfortunately and for this reason I have decided not to go. I can't see the point in sitting in a tent watching it rain. I was going for four nights, but as most of it is going to be poor, I can't justify spending the money on fuel to sit in a tent and watch it rain. So if anyone wants my pitch you are welcome to have it for free, just let me know.

Sorry.

Although I am not going I see your point Martyn, but if we'ed followed the weather forecast for Kelling this year most us would have missed out on 3 good clear nights!

But having said that , the weather does look bad!!

Ron

Hi there!

Been looking forward to this event all year.

Unfortunately I lost my job recently, which made the travel costs a bit precarious. I think I could riskily, just about manage it  (using some favours up).

Then I saw the weather reports. Thursday night and Sunday, and maybe Monday look like there could be an opportunity for a bit of clear skies. But myself (and seven Legs (Tony) ) ,

have booked just for the 2 nights (Fri-Sat).

Therefore at the expense which I can't really afford, it seems a little pointless travelling a 400mile round trip costing a lot of dosh for two downpours (Friday and Saturday look awful).

Oh and the fact we both have small festival tents :(

So on that note, I wish you all the best, and really do hope that at least one night you will get some clear skies.

All the best, and take care.

(If anyone needs my pitch or 'Seven_Legs', please feel free to use them. If this is allowed)

Looks like I won’t be attending, flight delayed from Switzerland and only just arrived back, the weather looks atrocious. 

I hope it changes for those attending. 

Alec 

It's pretty biblical at the moment. Daren't leave the tent in case it's gone when I get back!!!

Why do they only get it right when it's bad weather???

Edited by tuckstar