• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS 5 star party - Disscusion Thread.

Daz Type-R

Those who have elected to stay away have made absolutely the correct decision. 
Hurricane like conditions here as i type this at 02:00hrs and i’m so thankful i’m not having to stay in a tent. We are at near 1000ft elevation here and fairly exposed making the wind and rain seem a whole lot worse and for the last 12hrs and counting its not been fit to even venture outside.  Its that bad. 
But we have beer 🍺 and ample food to keep us busy and i’ll look back on this weekend with a smile i’m sure. 
‘Newtyng5’ : sorry to hear things have been tough of late and hopefully that will change for the better soon. See you at the next session. 

Just seen the weather forecast for the rest of the day and looking like its going to be clear tonight for you lot. 

I hope its right. 

To those who were going to go in tents and decided not to go, you're wiser than me!! 36 hrs of terror!! Just survied the night by hanging on. Dont listen to Daz when he tells you where the wind will be coming from. Full broadside 45mph winds!! All calm now and maybe a chance of clear skies tonight. I'm not going to mention tomorrow in case I scare it off😉

Edited by tuckstar

Glad you survived Andy, that thunderstorm at Kelling was bad enough for me and that only last 15 minutes I think!! Hope it clears soon for you all..

Ron

You wouldn't know it was blowing a gale here this morning. Calm and still now. Had a window of about an hour and had a swiz with the bins.

Andromeda stuck out like a saw thumb and I don't think I've ever seen as much of it in bins the central bulge and wide dust lanes. Dumbell was clearly visible as was the double cluster and the Severn sisters. Even M33 was easily visible with the 10x50. And of course a good portion of the Milky way. Hope it's a sign of good things to come tomorrow.

There is a bit of light pollution on the horizon,  not sure if it's Minehead or Cardiff, possibly both. But first impression is darker than kelling, maybe not as dark as studfold.

It's was clear for a few hours but then went milky for the rest of the anight. I'd packed up by about 11.

So discounting storm telescope breaker on friday night, it was a good weekend. The site was nice and the skies where good when they  were clear. Me and Sheila even saw a bit of the Milky way we hadn't seen before. I'd definitely visit again. 4hr drive wasn't bad and clear all the way to and from despite the slight diversion near the campsite and some very narrow roads.

• Like 2

Myself and his harriness were booked in till Thurs but having looked at the forecast for tomorrow decided that today was home time especiallyafter yestedray being a domestic god and cleaing all the mud off the inside of the tin snail.

it was a good camp despite what the weather threw at us.

3 hours ago, Streetbob said:

Nice one Doug it was a great team effort helping Bryan.

• Like 3

It took us nearly 8 hours to get back home yesterday from EMS 5 to much traffic but it was nice seeing every one, did not think much of the rain and wind but we did have a nice walk Sunday with every one

• Like 3

Got home in pretty good time from ems 5 despite getting lost at one point. 
nice site and good skies down there too

pity about the weather but we have no control over that. Would think if full clear the skies would be awesome. Better skies than kelling for definite. 

Saw parts of the Milky Way I had never seen before. 

Sheila, thanks for organising this, it was great to be there despite that awful night!

Spent a couple more days, and weather not too bad at all. Bertie bagged his first hill - Dunkery Beacon, the highest in Exmoor. Only half an hour each way, but a good start for a pup!

I don't see why not Andy, just imagine if we had three clear nights we all be raving about the place, we can't control the weather and that is the only thing that let it down.

If we go back, we need to put in place a plan to spend some proper quality time in the Royal Oak inn.

Exmoor Ale should be savoured and enjoyed.

The 500ft saunter back up the hill certainly shouldn't be putting you off.

I would go again but we would need to organise fairly quickly as it would probably be in September as kelling is October next year. Up to everyone really to commit before we can book all the hook ups again

I'll be going again in September, whether solo or as part of ems6.  Also maybe in April (but out of school hols).

The carvery at the White Horse in Exford is also to be recommended.

Hi Guys sorry to be a party pooper but it’s generally not the best location to go to in the Autumn you need to look at a location in the east! All our weather at this time of the year comes from the west the East tends to miss out on these weather patterns 

SGL which again is in the east of the county has now needed to be cancelled due to flooding which was nearly the case last year

i would love to have another EMS trip

the EMS 4 we had a Studfold was great, 2 hours from east mids a pub 10 minutes from site and great clear skies 

yes I know this will probably get me black listed and I wish I’d been able to make it 

this year had anyone tried to see if Studfold would have us back  

please forgive the outburst 😇 

Studfold refused to even communicate with us after our last visit. Daz and myself tried numerous times to contact him by both phone and email. He decided that he wanted to run his own star party and get the Harrogate Astro Soc involved. He then froze us out as we said that we wanted to organise it and vet the people coming. Firstly darksite members, as they  have priority due to membership and then others after that. This is also to stop unwelcome visitors.

Strangely he contacted us about briefly like long lost friends, and then stopped again as we thought we might be in with a chance again.

Personally I would go back there like a shot, but as he is in business to fill his camping field he wants to do as he wants and unfortunately that's his right. I just want you to know the correct reason why we didn't go back.

• Thanks 1

Hi Martyn yes you did say this when we talked about Studfold all I was really saying was that at this time of year the East and North of the country tends to have slight better skies at this time of year, I realise you and Daz put a lot of time in to trying to contact Studfold all I was implying is whether there’s something similar around that location that might host EMS 

Please don’t think I’m knocking what you Daz and Andy have done trying to find a site I’m guessing it’s a thankless task 

We exhausted almost everywhere searching for a site. As for the weather it can be crap anywhere. Even kelling has been awful some years in the autumn and I have had snow at star parties in the spring. Both east and west ,It’s difficult to second guess the weather. I think I might go back there next September as the area around for walks is good too. The one bad windy night and damaged kit has not put me off 😁 unless anyone finds a site we missed with enough hook ups and some hard standing and small enough so muggles Don’t spoil the party ?