• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Phd2 calibration

Bottletopburly

When you calibrate phd2 do you have to calibrate every outing or is it a once and forget or when would you recalibrate.  

I calibrate at the beginning of a session and each target thereafter. (I ( and quite a few others) use PHD 1.44 not 2.0.)

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron Clarke said:

I calibrate at the beginning of a session and each target thereafter. (I ( and quite a few others) use PHD 1.44 not 2.0.)

Cheers

Ron

I did try phd 1.44 but had a habit of freezing phd2 more stable , I was on the assumption you calibrated near the equator not the target ? area then moved to target and start guiding 

Always calibrate on your target.

Simply put.

Scope travels different distances at different altitudes in the same time frame.

Edited by Graham
  • Thanks 1

Think of it in terms of an alt/azi mount.

If you point the scope at the horizon in 12 hours the end of the scope will travel through 180 degrees right round the horizon. . 

If on the other hand you point the scope straight up the mount will still rotate through the same 180 degrees but the end of the scope will not move as it will rotate about it's own axis. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Graham said:

Always calibrate on your target.

Simply put.

Scope travels different distances at different altitudes in the same time frame.

16 minutes ago, Graham said:

Think of it in terms of an alt/azi mount.

If you point the scope at the horizon in 12 hours the end of the scope will travel through 180 degrees right round the horizon. . 

If on the other hand you point the scope straight up the mount will still rotate through the same 180 degrees but the end of the scope will not move as it will rotate about it's own axis. 

Thanks for clarifying graham ? every days a school day ??‍?still learning . 

• 1 month later...

Worth noting using phd2 if you calibrate near the equator beginning of session and have DEC compensation ticked✔️ >brain >guiding tab  you don't need to recalibrate on different targets as phd2 adjusts ra guiding rate based on Scope  declination  assuming dec coordinates are correct ,so a quick platesolve and sync mount before calibrating phd2 .