• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Don't you just love a deer

Doc

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Isn't he just magnificent. 

Very impressive close up. They are not scared of you at all and allow you to get within 15 yards before they get a little restless.

Can't wait until the colder mornings to get the frost on the floor and their breath showing in the air.

Edited by Doc

Nice shots Mick. Where was this? I was at Arne last week hoping to get some close ups but only managed distant shots for stags. The Does were a bit less wary so managed some close ups of them

It was Wollaton Park Phil, most of them were near the Mr Mann restuarant entrance, but they can wander anywhere they wish.

If you want I can meet you there and have a wander round together.

Edited by Doc

I thought it may have been Calke Abbey, thinking of popping up there before the rutting season ends.

Thanks for the offer Mick, I may take you up on that but recovering from a 5 hours drive back from Dorset at the mo

Thats Ok Phil, anytime you want.

Last time I was down Dorset was a visit to Lulworth Cove for the Lulworth Skipper.

People get injured in Wollaton, they think they can just walk up to the deer and do as they please. The Stags how them who is boss now and again.

Nice shots Mick, the lens works well.

Edited by BAZ

Driving back from Oakham the other day with the roof off, had two of them charge into, across the road and back , I think had been frightened by a motorbike, very skittish.  Braked hard and no problem but if i'd been nearer it could have been entertaining...

• 1 month later...

I've read that the wild deer population in rural Nottinghamshire has nearly doubled in the last 20 years, possibly due to climate change. I'm sure that may be similar elsewhere around the country.

In the last few years, I've seen two dead deer on the roads only a mile or two past the outskirts of Mansfield and spotted a few in fields on my travels.