• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

12v dc hub

Bottletopburly

How easy is it to make a 12v dc hub ,basically i want a small box with 3 or 4 dc plugs so i can mount on ota to reduce wires from power box, ideally each fused ,maybe even added a power outlet to feed the camera using this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5A-Adjustable-Power-CC-CV-Step-down-Charge-Module-LED-Driver-With-red-Voltmeter-/253049629672?hash=item3aeaeeebe8 just trying to declutter wiring .

This was what I put together when it became clear that a single 7 Amp/Hr SLA battery wasn't enough to run the mount and the dew heaters for a full evening's session.

Components from eBay

large.powersource.jpg.9a2d508dcd1f9dd72721ffddc95d9185.jpg.

• Like 2

This is what I built...

has six 12v outlets and one 5v plus a four port two Chanel dew controller, the 12v outputs are two different connector 2 of them being the screw fit type...

hmmm, now can’t see how you add images... ?

10 hours ago, bryand said:

This was what I put together when it became clear that a single 7 Amp/Hr SLA battery wasn't enough to run the mount and the dew heaters for a full evening's session.

Components from eBay

large.powersource.jpg.9a2d508dcd1f9dd72721ffddc95d9185.jpg.

Nice box ,i have a power box at pier just looking to make something like this in image  the little red box i'm thinking there's not much needed to make something like that ,purely to cut down on 12v connections trailing up mount from power box

dc_hub_mounted.png

I have the little red box. I got mine from Pavle who made my autofocus unit. It only cost 16 Euros. You just input a single 12 volt power supply and have 4 outputs the power as you need 

5 minutes ago, Alec said:

I have the little red box. I got mine from Pavle who made my autofocus unit. It only cost 16 Euros. You just input a single 12 volt power supply and have 4 outputs the power as you need 

Yeah I’m thinking of just getting pavle’s one, less hassle ?

Edited by Bottletopburly

On 26/10/2018 at 17:15, Bottletopburly said:

Yeah I’m thinking of just getting pavle’s one, less hassle ?

Do you guys have a link for the little red box please? Not seen anything that compact before. 

Pavle has not released this item on his website but if you email him via his link I’m sure he will respond.

deepskydad.com 

2 hours ago, catman161 said:

Do you guys have a link for the little red box please? Not seen anything that compact before. 

2 hours ago, catman161 said:

Yes it’s on his website 30 euros , and his mk3 autofocus unit is also well under development month or two for release also a field rotator in development  @Alec

Edited by Bottletopburly

1 minute ago, Bottletopburly said:

Yes it’s on his website 30 euros , and his mk3 autofocus unit is also well under development month or two for release @Alec

That's awesome thanks. I only do planetary imaging - well I will again when they are at a better altitude in 2020! so autofocusing id not an issue for me. 

3 minutes ago, catman161 said:

That's awesome thanks. I only do planetary imaging - well I will again when they are at a better altitude in 2020! so autofocusing id not an issue for me. 

His mark three unit can be used with a phone for in and out movement so you can use without autofocus just your eyeball ? great for fine adjustment  

Edited by Bottletopburly

5 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

His mark three unit can be used with a phone for in and out movement so you can use without autofocus just your eyeball ? great for fine adjustment  

I have a moonlite dc motofocuser unit for just that ? 

• Like 1