• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Telescope for wide FOV

djpaul

14 minutes ago, djpaul said:

can you recommend one for me please

send a link if you know of one to suit

You'll love the ease and convenience of observing with a quality Amici prism.

The following is ideal, though there are even better ones up to about £600, but I don't think you'd notice the difference! ?

I think Mick (Doc) uses this one, I have the previous version of this without the clicklock. Wish I had the clicklock though. ?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5502_Baader-2--90--Erecting-Amici-Prism---correct-image.html

I just changed that link, got the wrong one, they don't seem to do the clicklock sorry.

Edited by Tweedledee

11 minutes ago, djpaul said:

i will treat myself to one 

If you can find the clicklock version available elsewhere, you might like that even better. They where about the same price.

For now somebody on another site has suggested filling in the safety lug on the televue electrical type tapewith tape

Decisions decisions. The tape idea sounds like just a temporary fix, and you'd probably need to keep replacing the tape.

In my opinion you'd enjoy that scope more if you had a correct image prism, and still would probably notice no difference in quality from the Televue.

Okay.

I have been advised that these particular 2 inch diagonals are more suited to terrestrial viewing. And you got get  sharp focus on stars. 

So for now I have purchased a second-hand diagonal from abs.

Havent bought the secondhand diagonal. 

Had a thought.

Attach a baader clicklock to the focuser and attach my televue everbrite diagonal to clicklock?

Paul

6 hours ago, djpaul said:

Okay.

I have been advised that these particular 2 inch diagonals are more suited to terrestrial viewing. And you got get  sharp focus on stars. 

So for now I have purchased a second-hand diagonal from abs.

There are a lot of cheap Amici prisms around that have a poor reputation on quality, but these are in a different league.

In theory, a good mirror diagonal should be better, because you are doing less with the light passing through it. I swapped mine numerous times with a quality mirror diagonal and couldn't tell the difference, except that the correct image was so much more convenient to use. 

May try one in the summer time.

It's clear tonight. Managed to get 

my televue diagonal to bite on to the focuser. 

Left it out for 30 mins .

Popped in my 26mm wide field.

Wow. Nice sharp image 

Very happy with the W,O.73 zenithstar. 

Looking forward to taking it to a dark site on a better evening.

Nice and small .well built scope. Easy to carry .

Absolutely fab.