• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Power for AP

Tweedledee

Can I safely run all my AP gear (mount, camera, autoguider, dew control and laptop) direct from my 22 amphour lithium battery, or do I need to get some sort of power regulator inline?

The laptop and maybe the camera might not be 12V, so would need some tweaking, but the others should be OK.

Thanks Bryan. Yes, of course, you are right about the laptop. Will probably run it mostly on its own internal battery.

And the camera is powered by the usb cable from the laptop. i haven't chosen an autoguider yet, but it will probably be one of the smaller mini guiders as I have short focus scopes.

Edited by Tweedledee

The rest should be ok Pete, but it depends on the dew heaters how long the battery juice will last. The dew heaters are pure resistance loads so ohms law will state how much current they will draw if you measure their resistances... I (current) = Volts (12)/R (in ohms). Etc. ?

Don’t forget the resistances are in parallel not series... ? so work em out individually and add the I (currents) together or connect the dew straps in parallel and test the res in ohms etc... ?

Thanks Steve. ?

I will work it all out, but should be using fewer dew bands for the imaging setup than on the dob, and I've never run out of power with the 22 amphour lithium on a session yet. ?