• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Observing Report 29.10.18

Streetbob

Even though it was damp out (scope nights gave humidity at 80%) the skies were clear so I set up for a brief session.

I set up the 200mm Dob at 18.20 with a Celestron Starpointer (SP) and 60mm RACI Finder. 

I warmed up with M31 which showed a bright centre but no real definition with 24mm, 11mm and 6.7mm ES 82o EPs, just the centre getting brighter.  Also thought I'd try out a UHC filter which I haven't used for a very long time.  I know why now as it didn't improve the view at all.

Hunting for NGC 7789

I decided to record some detailed notes to help improve my hopping skills.

I started with a detailed star map created in CNC skychart.  I then centred SP on β Cass and then positioned it on the bottom left of the finder FOV.   I made a quick sketch of the view in the finder to help and for future reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0a3cfgpw93jcco2/IMG_0220.JPG?dl=0

It wasn't that clear with the 24mm EP but showed up as a cluster in the 11mm, though I couldn't make out the rose shape.

I then decided to move on to M103 and record how I got there. 

Starpointer centred on δ Cass then positioning the top reticule ring on δ Cass M103 was easily visible in 24mm ep.  Struve 131 was easily identifiable and I think split in the 11mm ep.  I might be brave and have a go at sketching next time.

With δ Cass at the top of the RACI Finder NGC663 was in FOV of the 24mm and looked even better with 11mm ep.

Time now 20.10 so a quick break to warm toes and have a drink.

20.23 Back at the coal face. 

It is always good to have a view of NGC457 The Owl Cluster so I found it by following the line from ε Cass through δ Cass and making a triangle with δ and γ Cass (Almach).  (I also recorded star and cluster names  to help me remember them).  I use the 24mm to find and centre the object before upping the mag which worked well for me this time.  The Owl was clearly visible and using 11mm ep wings, feet and claw were easily visible.

I'm on a roll so M34 next.  I pointed the SP in the rough position between β Pers (Algol) and γ And (Almach) and the cluster was faint in the Finder. I centred it and it was clear in th 24mm ep showing an outer boundary of stars clearly.  This was the best view of M34 though the 11mm ep gave a good view the outer stars where on the FOV limit.

Finally I couldn't resist The Double Cluster (NGC869 & 884) as it is one of my favourite observing objects.  I found by placing the SP 2 reticule rings from μ Pers where it was just visible top right of the finder FOV.  I still think it looks amazing especially with the 24mm ep.

Time 21.20 a good 3 hours observing which I thoroughly enjoyed so decided to call it a day.

You had a nice session there. ?

That NGC7789 is a favourite of mine, but it can be elusive if the sky isn't top notch. I've enjoyed looking at that in a few scopes, but have still never properly visualized the rose. 

A great report on a great session Doug! ?

Carolines Rose is a lovely object and I love the double cluster, one of our finest sights!

You had a decent go there Doug, I am assuming you were up against light pollution, so you did well to even find NGC 7789. Thanks for sharing.

I always make a list of observing objects before going out. I find it keeps the mind focused and you don't aimlessly wander around the sky. Also make observing notes of what you see and maybe even draw what the field of view looks like. It really helps to hone your observing skills.

Nice report Doug.

On 30/10/2018 at 16:07, Tweedledee said:

You had a nice session there. ?

That NGC7789 is a favourite of mine, but it can be elusive if the sky isn't top notch. I've enjoyed looking at that in a few scopes, but have still never properly visualized the rose. 

I’m reassured to know it isn’t just me.

On 31/10/2018 at 05:39, BAZ said:

You had a decent go there Doug, I am assuming you were up against light pollution, so you did well to even find NGC 7789. Thanks for sharing.

Yup light pollution in attendance, but at least it was high. Going to look again next time I’m out just to be certain.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I always make a list of observing objects before going out. I find it keeps the mind focused and you don't aimlessly wander around the sky. Also make observing notes of what you see and maybe even draw what the field of view looks like. It really helps to hone your observing skills.

Nice report Doug.

Having a list did help. I will try and sketch next time too. It makes you look carefully.

Thanks all for your encouragement.