• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
bryand

Tannenbaum Thursday 1st?

bryand

Forecast looks good (but cold) for Thursday night, and not much moon.

Anybody else fancy a session at Tannenbaum?  Starting about 7:30.

Can somebody set this up with Sharnon?  Thanks.

bryand

Well I had the site to myself and although the visibility was excellent, the seeing wasn't that good (somebody will be along to explain why later ...)

Nevertheless I eventually had a good session bagging 27 new doubles to fill out my list.  Gave up after three and a bit hours because I was getting cold and the wind was getting up (my C9.25 with a dew shield has a lot of windage, despite being shielded behind the teepee windbreaks). 

The AZ Pro mount performed perfectly; I'm no longer paranoid about getting it exactly level and adjusting it after it's loaded.  An initial one star alignment and a sync every hour or so does the job nicely.

Edited by bryand
added TPz

Sheila

not ideal being clear on a school night...  never seems to happen at the weekend

newtyng5
1 hour ago, bryand said:

Well I had the site to myself and although the visibility was excellent, the seeing wasn't that good (somebody will be along to explain why later ...) 

Glad you had a good night Bryand, I was hoping to attend, but couldn't.

As for the seeing, I would be tempted to go there later, as the last few times, the seeing was quite poor, I think mainly coz it's high up, and all the heat and dew rising causes very misty conditions (correct me if I am wrong), I reckon it would improve after midnight?

bryand
9 hours ago, newtyng5 said:

... As for the seeing, I would be tempted to go there later, as the last few times, the seeing was quite poor, I think mainly coz it's high up, and all the heat and dew rising causes very misty conditions (correct me if I am wrong), I reckon it would improve after midnight?

I reckon you might be right.  I've noticed conditions improve as it gets later.  That may be the scope cooling down, but is more likely to be the atmosphere.