• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Just increased my Clave family

Doc

Just increased my Clave family.

I've just bought a 55mm Clave' eyepiece and a full set of Clave coloured filters including a Neutral transmission filter. 

First photo shows the set I have now and the second photo the eyepieces I still need to collect. Once all have been collected I will cut holes for them all inside the wooden box.

Hopefully no more will come along straight away as totally skint.

nbScvo.jpg

oJ0plp.jpg

2 hours ago, Doc said:

LoL Graham if you think that's big you wait till you see a 75mm eyepiece.

If that is the case if I came across a 75mm ep I would be trying to fit a camera on it ?

That will be quite a set once (if) you can complete it Mick.

Thats quite a range isn't it : 3mm all the way through to 75mm....?

I bet theres not too many scopes that would work optimally with that one

but maybe something like a Sky watcher 180 Mak F15 would do it justice ?

Have you sold all your Tele-vue Deloi now....?

• 3 months later...

I have just purchased a 30mm Clave so I now have.

4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 25, 30, 40, & 55mm

And still need 

3, 5, 35, 45, 65, & 75mm

Also need a TR 0.3 and TR 0.5 filters

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that you will complete this collection Mick, there are rumours that you would arm wrestle Satan himself for one! (Further rumours are that Satan is obtaining a restraining order against you!) ??

I saw your TV collection and that was impeccable.

Satan doesn't stand a chance against me Baz.

These are different to the Televue, you can buy them anywhere, these are like rocking horse poo.

And they come around when I'm skint, so I have to turn them down until my pocket money is saved up.

A lovely scope but if your into double splitting a long focus refractor gives cleaner images compared to an obstructed view reflector, I speak from experience. I used the mak 180 for a few years and loved it but even an f7.5 frac gives cleaner splits. Planetary and lunar, maks are great but need nurturing to get the best out of them. I reluctantly sold my mak180 cos I still found I preferred the cleaner views from the frac so the mak just wasnt going out much.

Mick : thats a Cassegrain, not a Maksutov (I thought it was a Ritchey Chretien at first)

so it will have a biggish CO as well as a chunky 4 vane spider to support it.

Not ideal for splitting close doubles or teasing out planetary / Lunar details.

Another option (thats more cost effective) is a Maksutov Newtonian

A very small CO on some of the visual scopes (not so much the SW 190 which is really designed for imaging)

but more the Intes Micro Mak Newts like the MN Alter MN58 (20% CO) or MN76

Problem is these are rare to buy used and also have big thermal issues.

I agree with Phil that a good refractor is a much better bet.

But you already have that, although probably, at F7 more designed as an all rounder with imaging in mind

rather than a speciality scope for visual planetary / doubles.

If you want to push the boat out and get something that will blow everything else pretty much away

look at the APM LZOS long focal length refractors.

The 100 / 800 F8 has a cult following.

Astrograph (who i've shopped with and are supplying my next scope)

have a 100 F8 ready to sell. Rupert is great to deal with.

If you want something even better with more aperture look at the

130 / 1200 F9.2  I really don't think you could better that without breaking the bank.

Its a big long scope, but you have the mounts ready for something like this.

And you could sell your current scopes to help finance it. If you wanted to.

This is what i have done.

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AG1200T9LZAPO/SubProducts/AG1200T9LZAPO-0005

Edited by Bino-viewer

What I have in mind is to obtain a 4" F15 lens and cell from somewhere like Istar, then build my own refractor, I would like to go 6" but would have to keep it around F12 because of the length. As for a mount build a very sturdy Berry style mount. I like the idea of a F15 refractor with a moonlite focuser, should be good at splitting stars.

Even the 75mm Clave in a 4" F15 refractor would have a exit pupil of 5mm so easily within my range of my old eyes. The whole Clave range from 3mm to 75mm should work really well.

Something like this:

post-1369-14073665398374.jpg

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

Interesting design, but i would have thought the 'Rocket mount' would have been right at home here....?

I don't know the RocketMount carries my F7 scope OK but will it carry a F15 scope thats twice as long. I will build the scope first and try it on top of the RocketMount first. To be honest it's just an excuse to build another mount ?

• Like 1

4" F15, good choice. If your in the market for a good achro of that spec my old Fullerscopes has just come up for sale, sans mount, on Ukabs. I can guarantee the quality of that scope.?

An f15 4" isnt necessarily heavy, unless you get WO to make the tube,  its loooong, therefore your mount needs to be capable of handling the turning moment. I tried mine, also a Skylight, on my heq5 and although it supported the scopes with ease the slightest breeze or touch of the scope and the mount would wobble

Something heq6 size is recommended

Cannot find your scope on AB&S Phil. I'm not buying at the moment though as I'm saving up for a Canon 7dii.

I'm just thinking aloud as what to do next, I enjoy drawing plans and investigating how to build things. So building a large refractor appeals.

I'm surprised you are selling your black and brass Fullerscope.

I sold it 2 years ago Mick, its the bloke that bought it off me thats selling.

Ps can someone tell me why the emojii wont delete, it aint suppossed to be there, I picked the wrong one, cant delete it now

Edited by tuckstar

No, may as well go the whole hog like this chap and go for the 6" F15

Home built mount too (about the size of a fridge freezer. Whole lot weighs 525lb)

I reckon it would just fit nicely into your workshop Mick ?

Edited by Bino-viewer