• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

IC 405 - The Flaming Star Nebula in RGB

Chris P.

24 minutes ago, Graham said:

Very nice Chris.

Do you have some details on the kit used and times ect.

Hi Graham - C8 + Hyperstar; ZWO 178 MC Cool camera; Baader Neodymium Filter; APT for camera and mount control; HEQ5. Processed in Pix 1.8 and PS CC. 60x2min subs - cheers

11 minutes ago, Graham said:

I am getting more and more impressed with that Hyperstar with every image you post.

It is amazing, but I suppose that's what can be expected when imaging at a ridiculously fast F2.

I think that only the Hyperstar system can allow that at the moment, but I'm sure I've read of another focal reducer being developed that will convert top class refractors to about F2.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

I am getting more and more impressed with that Hyperstar with every image you post.

It's taking a bit of time to get used to it. Focusing is tricky; exposure time for individual subs needs downdialing and thinking about, especially with big stars in the image - its almost better to do live stacking 30 sec subs than guided for some subjects. Horeshead will be a challenge with Alnitak. If you don't get the camera wires spaced properly across the front of your scope you get a horrible diffraction pattern on your stars. It's limiting with filter swaps - there is an optional filter draw for manual changes but thats another $100+ dollars. I've decided to go duo band for Ha and OIII in a single filter to solve some of that angst. But it has a lot of upsides - Wait until you see my Western Veil nebula. cheers

46 minutes ago, Chris P. said:

It's taking a bit of time to get used to it. Focusing is tricky; exposure time for individual subs needs downdialing and thinking about, especially with big stars in the image - its almost better to do live stacking 30 sec subs than guided for some subjects. Horeshead will be a challenge with Alnitak. If you don't get the camera wires spaced properly across the front of your scope you get a horrible diffraction pattern on your stars. It's limiting with filter swaps - there is an optional filter draw for manual changes but thats another $100+ dollars. I've decided to go duo band for Ha and OIII in a single filter to solve some of that angst. But it has a lot of upsides - Wait until you see my Western Veil nebula. cheers

I can imagine focusing being extremely critical at that f ratio. Maybe some sort of metal guide could be rigged up to keep the camera wires in exactly the right place over the front of the scope.

You seem well on the way to ironing out any niggles with the system. From then on, it should be a joy to use. 20 DSO's per night!? ??