• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Silly question perhaps

Tweedledee

Ok, I'm ready to be shot down in flames here.

If I image in alt-azimuth mode, using short 20 to 30 second subs, which apparently the Hypercam is good for, will stacking take care of the field rotation?

Below 30 seconds, image rotation should not be visible in individual subs. I understand that after stacking of successively rotated rectangular subs there would probably be a need to crop the image slightly as only a circular area the diameter of the smaller field dimension would be fully stacked in its entirety.

Is there a flaw in my thinking above?

I'm happy to set up in EQ mode for most of my imaging but would be interested to know if the above is a non-starter.

Edited by Tweedledee

If you are only shooting short subs then yes it will work.

If you do it over a long period of time you will end up with a square image after cropping = to the shortest side of a full image.

Thanks very much Graham. ?

I do have some odd ideas at times, though right now I know nothing about imaging, but you've confirmed that I'm not going balmy ~ yet! ?

Did some googling around forums on this idea, but every result just kept dismissing alt-az and suggesting that the only way is EQ, without any real thought to some reasoning behind the answer.

Just about all the big telescopes are now alt/azi. 

Mind they have very expensive rotaters on the cameras to negate field rotation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Just about all the big telescopes are now alt/azi. 

Mind they have very expensive rotaters on the cameras to negate field rotation. 

Just imagine this 2800 tonne 39m aperture monster on one end of the declination shaft of a German equatorial and the counterweight at the other! ?

15415988629286262763970985089997-810x785

21 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

I've noticed that all the large telescopes seem to be RC's, interesting??

Could you imagine how big the scopes would be if they weren't. 

39 meters even at f2 prime focus would be 78 ??? meters away.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 2