• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help required with my AZEQ6

Jonny14716

Morning all,

I'm trying to tap in to the expertise on this forum to see if there is anyone local who can give me a little help with my AZEQ6.

The RA axis is suffering from sticking, it is very difficult to balance the mount as it doesn't move very much when altering the counterweights. When it is aligned it seems to track fine and guides very nicely. The DEC Axis balances fine.

If I'm right I understand that this means the either the mount needs the RA axis stripping or (and hopefully!!) that the worm drive needs some adjustment. Is there anyone local to me (North West Leicestershire) who would be willing to help with this process? I would be more than happy to perform the work myself under strict supervision, I would also be happy to watch a master at work!!

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

50 minutes ago, Jonny14716 said:

Morning all,

I'm trying to tap in to the expertise on this forum to see if there is anyone local who can give me a little help with my AZEQ6.

The RA axis is suffering from sticking, it is very difficult to balance the mount as it doesn't move very much when altering the counterweights. When it is aligned it seems to track fine and guides very nicely. The DEC Axis balances fine.

If I'm right I understand that this means the either the mount needs the RA axis stripping or (and hopefully!!) that the worm drive needs some adjustment. Is there anyone local to me (North West Leicestershire) who would be willing to help with this process? I would be more than happy to perform the work myself under strict supervision, I would also be happy to watch a master at work!!

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

You may have QC issues im sure @Graham will advise 

Hi Jon. 

Mine was exactly the same when I got it.

Unless you know what you are doing I would not advise you do the strip down yourself. 

How old is your mount. 

14 minutes ago, Graham said:

Hi Jon. 

Mine was exactly the same when I got it.

Unless you know what you are doing I would not advise you do the strip down yourself. 

How old is your mount. 

Hi Graham,

I agree totally, after stripping down an old CGEM a few years ago (without much success I might add) it is not a job I would want to tackle without some expert support. The mount is about 18 months old, so it is out of guarantee, so no option to send it back, hence the plea for help on here.

Jon.

If it is that old I can tell you exactly what is wrong with it. 

The bearing under the clutch is stuck to the friction plate.

It means a strip down I am afraid. 

I can walk you through it if you want.

Or I could do it for you. 

Edited by Graham

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

If it is that old I can tell you exactly what is wrong with it. 

The bearing under the clutch is stuck to the friction plate.

It means a strip down I am afraid. 

I can walk you through it if you want.

Or I could do it for you. 

Would the fact that it has never been very loose alter your prognosis? from the day I bought it (brand new) it has always been sticky and I've read other peoples reviews that said exactly the same. I was at Kelling this weekend for Winterfest and saw another AZEQ6 which ran a lot more freely and made me think that they are not all like that, and that maybe mine could be improved.

No. 

Mine was as tight as a duck's you know what. 

I stripped and cleaned mine.

Found a rather large lump of metal in the bearing. 

I did put a post up on here about it.

There has been a lot of problems with the RA on these mounts.

Mainly due to Quality control or the total lack of it.

Thanks Graham,

Looks like a strip down is on the cards then. Hopefully someone with experience of doing it who is local to me will chip in and be able to give me a hand with it, certainly wouldn't dream of dong it again on my own.

I can promise you you're cg is a walk in the park compared to the AZEQ6 

The post on mine is in Martins coffee shop.

You will have to go back into September. 

It is something like skywatcher qc is a joke. 

Thanks Graham, I shall try to find it and have a read, still don't think I will attempt it without supervision from someone with the know how.

Well if you cannot find any one you can always send it down to me and I will sort it for you. 

Or you could bring it down and I will go through it with you. 

Edited by Graham

303 would have been somewhere near Steve Asbury wouldn’t it? We were right on the end 2 rows along

That certainly seems to be the way I may have to go. Sadly I drove back from Norfolk yesterday and don’t relish having to do it again right away. I can’t believe how many of us are plumbers!! Had breakfast with Steve yesterday and that was his previous profession, and mine, and my wife’s!! Crazy

Bloody hell to many of us eh 

i know you can send it as Rob (red dwarf ) has and I’ve sent mine to Dark Frame to have it Hypertune costs about £30 each way cheaper than fuel to drive 

22 hours ago, Allan the Plumber said:

Bloody hell to many of us eh 

i know you can send it as Rob (red dwarf ) has and I’ve sent mine to Dark Frame to have it Hypertune costs about £30 each way cheaper than fuel to drive 

I wish some of you would move to Derby.

Trying to find a plumber in Derby is like trying to find a needle in a haystack ☹️